Solving Circuits: Fig. 27-65 Analysis

In summary, the conversation is discussing a circuit with a voltage source, capacitor, and three resistors. Switch S is closed at t=0 and the currents in the three resistors and the potential difference across resistor 2 are being calculated at t=0 and t=∞. The steps to solve the problem involve using loop equations and solving simultaneous equations, but a simpler approach using voltage dividers can also be used.
KTiaam

Homework Statement

In the circuit of Fig. 27-65, = 1.2 kV, C = 6.5 μF, R1 = R2 = R3 = 0.73 MΩ. With C completely uncharged, switch S is suddenly closed (at t 0). At t = 0, what are (a) current i1 in resistor 1, (b) current i2 in resistor 2, and (c) current i3 in resistor 3? At t = ∞ (that is, after many time constants), what are (d) i1, (e) i2, and (f) i3? What is the potential difference V2 across resistor 2 at (g) t = 0 and (h) t = ∞? (i) Sketch V2 versus t between these two extreme times.

The Attempt at a Solution

i have loop equations down as:
i1 = i2 + i3
E - i1R -i2R = 0
i2R - i3Ri don't understand how they get the answer
i1 = 2/3(v/r)

Ive also attached the steps shown from the solution manual:
thanks for all you help

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-20 at 11.57.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-20 at 11.57.12 AM.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 1,575
  • Screen Shot 2014-04-20 at 12.06.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-20 at 12.06.15 PM.png
    11 KB · Views: 1,559
Likes ilker29
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know why they went so far as to solve simultaneous equations for this problem. Really, since the at the times of interest the capacitor either looks like a short circuit or an open circuit, the result is a simple voltage dividers to find the potential at the switch. With that potential in hand the currents in the resistors is straightforward Ohm's law.

If you take the voltage divider approach you should find their expression for i1 quite easily.

Related to Solving Circuits: Fig. 27-65 Analysis

1. What is the purpose of solving circuits?

The purpose of solving circuits is to understand how electricity flows through a system and to determine the values of currents and voltages at different points in the circuit. This information is crucial for designing and analyzing electrical systems, such as those used in electronics, power distribution, and communication.

2. What is Fig. 27-65 Analysis in circuit solving?

Fig. 27-65 Analysis refers to a specific method for analyzing circuits, which involves breaking down the circuit into smaller parts and using a combination of Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws to solve for the unknown values of currents and voltages. This analysis is commonly used in introductory circuit courses and can be applied to both DC and AC circuits.

3. How do you approach solving a circuit using Fig. 27-65 Analysis?

The first step in solving a circuit using Fig. 27-65 Analysis is to draw a schematic diagram of the circuit, including all components and their values. Next, identify any known values and label them on the diagram. Then, use Ohm's Law to calculate the values of currents and voltages at different points in the circuit. Finally, apply Kirchhoff's Laws to set up and solve a system of equations to find the remaining unknown values.

4. Are there any limitations to Fig. 27-65 Analysis?

While Fig. 27-65 Analysis is a useful method for solving circuits, it does have some limitations. It assumes that all components in the circuit are ideal and that there are no non-linear elements present. Additionally, it may not be suitable for more complex circuits, such as those with multiple loops or non-linear elements, which may require more advanced analysis techniques.

5. How can I check if my solution to a circuit problem is correct?

There are a few ways to check if your solution to a circuit problem is correct. One way is to use a circuit simulator software, which can simulate the behavior of a circuit and validate your results. Another way is to double-check your calculations and make sure they follow the rules and laws of circuit analysis. You can also verify your solution by comparing it to known values or using physical measurements to confirm the values of currents and voltages in the circuit.