Solving Circuit Problem with PNP-Common BJT Transistor

• Thread starter migelo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a pnp-common bjt transistor made of silicon. The emitter current, collector current, and base current are being asked for when Vin=0V. The teacher used Kirchhoff's rule to solve for the emitter circuit and the collector circuit, but there is confusion about the +0.1 term in the collector circuit equation. The asker is also looking for suggestions for a textbook with example problems, specifically about transistors.
migelo
[
Hi all. I'm new in this forum. and i thought to say welcome with a problem what makes me crazy. It is a pnp-common bjt transistor. made of silicon. the emittor current, the collector current and the base current are asked in the condition of Vin=0V. (alfa=0,98) However when the teacher wrote the kirchhoffs rule for the emittor circuit and the collector circuit, he wrote:

for the emittor circuit:
Vee-Veb-(1-alfa)Ie*50-49*Ie=0
he took 0,6 for the Veb cause it is silicon. it is ok. and from here Iee comes out 0,002A.

but for the collector circuit:
Vcc-Vcb-1,98Ic+0,1=0
how 0,1 can be here? there is Ib*Rb. right? we had found 0,002A for the Ie. and when put it in the Ie=Ic+Ib equation, and use the Ic=alfa*Ie, we found 0,00004A for the Ib. and if we multiply it with Rc; 50ohm, we found 0,002A. so where is the +0,1?

we asked the confusing to the teacher, however he didn't give us a saturating reply. so i thooght to ask it to you. i will be waiting for your answers.

and also, i generally need a textbook which has got plenty of example problems. (especially about transistors) could you give me some suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/9358/circuitw.jpg
sorry, i forgot the circuit picture. here it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
]

Hello and welcome to the forum! I can understand your frustration with this circuit problem. It seems like the teacher may have made a mistake in the equation for the collector circuit. It is possible that the 0.1 value was meant to represent the base current, but it should have been labeled as Ib instead of Ic. This would make sense since the base current does flow through the 50 ohm resistor, causing a voltage drop of 0.002 A * 50 ohms = 0.1 V. However, without more information about the circuit, it is difficult to say for sure.

As for textbooks, there are many resources available online and in books that cover transistor circuits and problem solving. Some popular textbooks include "Electronic Devices and Circuit Theory" by Robert L. Boylestad and Louis Nashelsky, "Microelectronic Circuits" by Adel S. Sedra and Kenneth C. Smith, and "Electronic Circuits for the Evil Genius" by Dave Cutcher. It may also be helpful to search for online tutorials and practice problems to supplement your learning. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Solving Circuit Problem with PNP-Common BJT Transistor

1. What is a PNP-Common BJT transistor?

A PNP-Common BJT (bipolar junction transistor) is a type of transistor that consists of three layers of doped semiconductor material. It has a collector, base, and emitter region, and is used for amplification and switching of electrical signals in electronic circuits.

2. How does a PNP-Common BJT transistor work?

A PNP-Common BJT transistor works by controlling the flow of current between the collector and emitter regions, based on the amount of current flowing into the base region. When a small current is applied to the base, it allows a larger current to flow from the collector to the emitter, amplifying the signal.

3. What is the difference between a PNP-Common BJT transistor and an NPN transistor?

The main difference between a PNP-Common BJT transistor and an NPN transistor is the direction of the current flow. In a PNP transistor, the current flows from the emitter to the collector, while in an NPN transistor, the current flows from the collector to the emitter. Additionally, the polarity of the voltage sources used in the circuit will be opposite for PNP and NPN transistors.

4. How do you solve circuit problems using a PNP-Common BJT transistor?

To solve circuit problems using a PNP-Common BJT transistor, you will need to first identify the transistor's base, collector, and emitter pins. Then, you can use the transistor's current gain and voltage characteristics to calculate the currents and voltages in the circuit. It is important to also consider the transistor's mode of operation (active, saturation, or cutoff) when solving the circuit.

5. What are some common applications of PNP-Common BJT transistors?

PNP-Common BJT transistors are commonly used in electronic circuits for amplification, switching, and signal processing. They are also used in analog and digital circuits, audio and video equipment, and power supplies. Additionally, PNP-Common BJT transistors are often used in combination with other electronic components to create more complex circuits.