Solving Charged Particles: Mass & Charge

In summary, two equally charged particles with a distance of 3.8 x 10^-3 m between them are released from rest. The first particle has a mass of 6.3 x 10^-7 kg and an initial acceleration of 5.0 m/s^2, while the second particle has an initial acceleration of 9.0 m/s^2. To find the mass of the second particle, use the formula F=ma and solve for the unknown mass. To find the magnitude of the charge of each particle, use the Coulomb force equation F=kqq/r^2 and set the forces equal to each other since the charges are equal. This will give you one equation and one unknown to solve for the
Forceflow
Two equally charged particles are held 3.8 10-3 m apart and then released from rest. The initial acceleration of the first particle is observed to be 5.0 m/s2 and that of the second to be 9.0 m/s2. The mass of the first particle is 6.3 10-7 kg.
(a) What is the mass of the second particle?

(b) What is the magnitude of the charge of each particle?

For A, i got 3.5e-7, which is the correct answer.
However,for B, i wasn't sure of what to do.

Do you simply do Mass time Acceleration for each particle. Then add those together to get the F?
After that, you would use
F=kqq/r-squared?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone know how to do this problem?

Can someone help me, please?

Can anyone do this problem?

that seems right, but i don't know about adding the forces

i just don't know what to use for the force, i can do everything from there. So, really i only need to know what to put in for force.

the force on the first object is the Coulomb force from the second. Since the question explicitly stated that the charge of the two are equal, you have one equation and one unknown.

could u show me how to get the force, I'm still not understanding..

Related to Solving Charged Particles: Mass & Charge

1. What is the relationship between the mass and charge of a charged particle?

The mass and charge of a charged particle are directly proportional. This means that as the mass of a particle increases, so does its charge, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: Q = m x a, where Q is the charge, m is the mass, and a is a constant value.

2. How is the mass of a charged particle measured?

The mass of a charged particle can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as mass spectrometry or particle accelerators. These methods involve manipulating and measuring the motion of the particle in an electric or magnetic field to determine its mass.

3. What is the unit of measurement for charge?

The unit of measurement for charge is the Coulomb (C). One Coulomb is equal to the charge of approximately 6.24 x 10^18 protons. This unit is used to measure the amount of charge on a particle or in an electric field.

4. Can a particle have a non-integer charge?

Yes, a particle can have a non-integer charge. This is known as a fractional charge and is often observed in subatomic particles such as quarks. These particles have a charge that is a fraction of the unit charge, which is the charge of a proton or electron.

5. How does the charge of a particle affect its behavior?

The charge of a particle plays a significant role in its behavior. Charged particles interact with electric and magnetic fields, resulting in forces that can cause them to accelerate, deflect, or attract/repel other particles. The charge also determines the type of interactions a particle can have, such as electrostatic or electromagnetic interactions.