Solving Buoyancy Problem: Ball Emerges from Water Surface

• Thread starter Hitman6267
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buoyancy
In summary, the question discusses the release of a small ball at a depth of 0.610 m below the surface in a pool of water. The density of the ball is 0.290 times that of water and the drag force is negligible. The question asks for the height above the water surface that the ball will shoot as it emerges, without considering energy transfer to splashing and waves. After initial attempts, applying Newton's second law and using kinematics proved to be successful.
Hitman6267
Question
Suppose that you release a small ball from rest at a depth of 0.610 m below the surface in a pool of water. If the density of the ball is 0.290 that of water and if the drag force on the ball from the water is negligible, how high above the water surface will the ball shoot as it emerges from the water? (Neglect any transfer of energy to the splashing and waves produced by the emerging ball.)

My attempt
I tried mg = [tex]m_{f}[/tex] * g

but it didn't get me anywhere

Any ideas ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you apply Newton's second law on it? Then a little kinematics will help.

It worked thank you :)

I tried it, but a mistake kept the density from cancelling out. I retried it after your suggestion and it worked.

Related to Solving Buoyancy Problem: Ball Emerges from Water Surface

1. What is the buoyancy force?

The buoyancy force is the upward force exerted on an object immersed in a fluid. It is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object.

2. How do you calculate the buoyancy force?

The buoyancy force can be calculated using the formula Fb = ρVg, where ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force on an object immersed in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

4. How does the buoyancy force affect objects with different densities?

The buoyancy force affects objects with different densities differently. Objects with a higher density than the fluid will sink, while objects with a lower density will float.

5. How does the depth of the object in the fluid affect the buoyancy force?

The depth of the object in the fluid does not affect the buoyancy force. As long as the object is fully submerged, the buoyancy force will remain the same regardless of the depth.