Solving Bungee Jump Problem with No Air Resistance or Damping

In summary, the conversation discusses a bungee jumper standing on a 100m bridge attached to a 25m bungee rope with a weight of 60kg. The goal is to find the minimum required spring constant, using the equation 1/2kx^2=mgh, to avoid hitting the floor of the valley. The conversation also mentions that there is no air resistance or damping in the bungee rope and the weight of the rope is negligible. The conversation then goes on to discuss the potential energy and kinetic energy of the jumper and the conservation of mechanical energy during the phase where the rope stretches. Finally, the minimum required spring constant is calculated to be 21.3.
dopey9
a bungee jumper stnd on a bridge of 100m above the floor of a valley.
She is attached to a bungee rope of length 25m and has a mass of 60kg. and i have taken g to be 10

Theres no: air resistance
damping in the bungee rope
and the weight of the bungee rope is negliable

i need to find the minimum required value for the spring constant k if she is to avoid hiting the valley floor

im using 1/2kx^2=mgh...but I am getting confused in what I am doing i don't know where to go next..i was wondering if i am doing it right n what i should do next ?...thankz

Physics news on Phys.org
dopey9 said:
im using 1/2kx^2=mgh...
Your on the right track, but what happens when the binjee jumper falls the first 25m? Will the rope be storing potential energy then? What is the maximum extension the rope can undergoe without the jumper hitting the floor?

confused

Hootenanny said:
Your on the right track, but what happens when the binjee jumper falls the first 25m? Will the rope be storing potential energy then? What is the maximum extension the rope can undergoe without the jumper hitting the floor?

sorry I am really confused?

Remember that for the first 25 meters of falling, the rope is SLACK and there is no tension in it.

my calculation

this is what i did

mgh= 0.5*k*(h-l)^2

60*10*100=0.5*k*(100-25)^2

k= 21.3

this is what i did and got k as ...have i done it right because I am so confused

Okay, for clarity I'll take this step by step:
Consider the moment when the jumper has fallen [itex]h=25[/itex] meters.
Then, obviously, the kinetic energy gain equals the loss of potential energy:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv_{0}^{2}=mgh[/tex]

We now look at conservation of mechanical energy during the phase where the rope stretches, and where L is the maximal length the rope stretches:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv_{0}^{2}=\frac{1}{2}kL^{2}-mgL[/tex]
which can be rewritten as
[tex]mg(h+L)=\frac{1}{2}kL^{2}[/tex]
with h=25, L=75, you get your own equation, so yes, you did the problem right!:smile:

thankz

arildno said:
Okay, for clarity I'll take this step by step:
Consider the moment when the jumper has fallen [itex]h=25[/itex] meters.
Then, obviously, the kinetic energy gain equals the loss of potential energy:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv_{0}^{2}=mgh[/tex]

We now look at conservation of mechanical energy during the phase where the rope stretches, and where L is the maximal length the rope stretches:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv_{0}^{2}=\frac{1}{2}kL^{2}-mgL[/tex]
which can be rewritten as
[tex]mg(h+L)=\frac{1}{2}kL^{2}[/tex]
with h=25, L=75, you get your own equation, so yes, you did the problem right!:smile:

Thankz .

Related to Solving Bungee Jump Problem with No Air Resistance or Damping

1. How do you solve the bungee jump problem with no air resistance or damping?

To solve the bungee jump problem with no air resistance or damping, you can use the equation F = mg - kx, where F is the force of the bungee cord, m is the mass of the jumper, g is the gravitational acceleration, k is the spring constant of the bungee cord, and x is the displacement of the jumper from the equilibrium position.

2. What is the role of air resistance in the bungee jump problem?

Air resistance is the force that opposes the motion of the jumper as they fall. In the absence of air resistance, the jumper would continue to accelerate until they reach the ground. However, with air resistance, the acceleration is reduced, resulting in a slower descent.

3. How does damping affect the bungee jump problem?

Damping is the force that reduces the amplitude of the oscillations of the bungee cord over time. In the absence of damping, the jumper would experience a constant acceleration as they fall. However, with damping, the acceleration decreases as the jumper approaches the equilibrium position, resulting in a smoother descent.

4. What are the key factors to consider when solving the bungee jump problem?

The key factors to consider when solving the bungee jump problem are the mass of the jumper, the length and elasticity of the bungee cord, the gravitational acceleration, and any external forces such as air resistance or damping. These factors will determine the maximum height the jumper can reach, the maximum speed they will reach, and the overall safety of the jump.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving the bungee jump problem?

Solving the bungee jump problem has many real-world applications, such as designing bungee jumping experiences for thrill-seekers, calculating the maximum safe distance for a parachute jump, and developing safety protocols for amusement park rides. It can also be used in engineering and physics research to study the properties of elastic materials and the effects of air resistance and damping on falling objects.