Solving Boyle's Law Question: Max No. of Balloons to Inflate

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about Boyle's Law, where a rigid cylinder contains helium gas at a pressure of 750 kPa. The gas is released to fill party balloons, and the temperature remains constant. The question asks for the total volume of the gas at a pressure of 125 kPa, and the maximum number of balloons that can be filled. The answer to the second part involves subtracting the initial volume of gas (0.08 m^3) from the total volume at 125 kPa, to account for the gas still remaining in the cylinder. The conversation also clarifies how to determine the number of balloons that can be filled at different pressures.
MisterMan
Hi, I was working through a past exam paper when I came across a Boyle's Law question in which the answer to the second part confused me. I will write the question, part one and its solution and the second part. Here is the question :

A rigid cylinder contains [tex]0.08 m^3[/tex] of helium gas at a pressure of 750 kPa. Gas is released from the cylinder to fill party balloons. During the filling process, the temperature remains constant. When filled, each balloon holds [tex]0.020 m^3[/tex] of helium gas at a pressure of 125 kPa.

(a) Calculate the total volume of the helium gas when it is at a pressure of 125 kPa.

Solution :

Using [tex]P_{1}V_{1} = P_{2}V_{2}[/tex]

[tex](7.5*10^5)(0.08) = (1.25*10^5)V_{2}[/tex]

[tex]V_{2} = 0.48 m^3[/tex]

(b) Determine the maximum number of balloons which can be fully inflated by releasing gas from the cylinder.

My answer to this question was as follows :

[tex]Number of balloons = \frac{V_{2}}{0.020} = \frac{0.48}{0.020} = 24 balloons[/tex]

But when I looked at the answer sheet this is what was written:

[tex]Volume of gas available = 0.48 - 0.08 = 0.40 m^3[/tex]

[tex]Number of balloons = \frac{0.40}{0.020} = 20 balloons[/tex]

My confusion is in the part where the volume of 0.08 cubic metres is taken off the total volume obtained from a pressure of 125 kPa. I know that the 0.08 is the same volume in the cylinder but why is this taken away from it, if the pressure is changed isn't the gas the new volume of 0.48 cubic metres?

I would really appreciate any helpful advice given, thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The new volume of the gas is 0.48, as you calculated, but 0.08 of it is still in the cylinder, hence not available to fill balloons. Once the pressure in the cylinder is the same as the balloons, these is no pressure difference to force the remaining gas out the cylinder into the balloons. If you were to pump the remaining gas out of the cylinder, you could fill 4 more balloons, but you would need a pump to do that.

Ah, I think I understand so as you fill each balloon the volume is decreasing inside the cylinder and hence the pressure is too, but how am I supposed to know when the pressure inside the cylinder reaches 125 kPa, how do I know it does that when I have filled 20 balloons?

That's what you calculated. When the pressure has decreased to 125 kPa, the volume has increased to 0.48 m^3. Of that 0.48 m^3, 0.08 m^3 is still inside the cylinder, and 0.40 m^3 is in the 20 balloons that you filled.

So, no matter what pressure the gas inside the cylinder is reduced to, I will still be left with the 0.08 m3 that was in there at the beginning? For example if I was to escape it into balloons that filled the same volume but at a pressure of 100 kPa :

[tex]P_{1}V_{1} = P_{2}V_{2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{(7.5*10^5)(0.08)}{1*10^5} = V_{2} = 0.6 m^3[/tex]

So now, to work out the number of balloons I can fill all I have to do is remember that no matter what, 0.08 m3 of the gas will always remain in the cylinder:

Volume of gas available = 0.6 - 0.08 = 0.52 m3

Number of balloons = [tex]\frac{0.52}{0.02}[/tex] = 26 balloons

is this correct?

Yes, correct. The volume of the cylinder is the same no matter what the pressure of the gas in it is.

Thanks for your help and patience :smile:

Glad I could help.

Related to Solving Boyle's Law Question: Max No. of Balloons to Inflate

1. What is Boyle's Law?

Boyle's Law is a gas law that states the inverse relationship between pressure and volume of a gas at a constant temperature. It can be represented by the equation P1V1 = P2V2, where P1 and V1 are the initial pressure and volume, and P2 and V2 are the final pressure and volume.

2. How is Boyle's Law relevant to inflating balloons?

Inflating a balloon involves increasing the volume of air inside the balloon, which results in an increase in pressure. Boyle's Law explains the relationship between the volume and pressure of the air inside the balloon, and helps determine the maximum number of balloons that can be inflated with a given amount of air.

3. What factors affect the maximum number of balloons that can be inflated?

The maximum number of balloons that can be inflated depends on the initial pressure and volume of the air, as well as the desired final pressure and volume of each balloon. Other factors that can affect this include the size and strength of the balloons, and the temperature and humidity of the surrounding air.

4. How can Boyle's Law be used to solve for the maximum number of balloons?

To solve for the maximum number of balloons that can be inflated, we can use the equation P1V1 = P2V2 and rearrange it to solve for V2, which represents the volume of air that each balloon can hold. Then, we can divide the total volume of air available by V2 to determine the maximum number of balloons that can be inflated.

5. Are there any limitations to using Boyle's Law for solving this question?

While Boyle's Law can provide a good estimate for the maximum number of balloons, it assumes ideal gas behavior and does not take into account factors such as the elasticity and strength of the balloons. Additionally, real-life conditions may vary and affect the accuracy of the calculation.