Solving Bottle Thrown with Initial Velocity: Find Final Velocities

In summary, the bottle is thrown with an initial velocity of 4 m/s at 45 degree angle from the horizon. Its final horizontal and vertical velocities are 2.8 m/s and 0 m/s, respectively.
ryryguy

Homework Statement

A bottle is thrown with an initial velocity of 4 m/s at 45 degree angle from the horizon. Find its final horizontal and vertical velocities before striking the ocean.

Homework Equations

change x= innitial velocity (t) + a(t squared)
final velocity= innitial velocity + at
d= average velocity (t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to solve this equation because all of the formulas include time and the problem doesn't give time.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are missing how far below the ocean is below from where the bottle is thrown. Also, you know that the x velocity will be constant because there is no acceleration in that direction. So you will simply have to figure out the y component.

it says from the horizon, so I guess the innitial and final heights are the same. I have the answer btw, I just don't know how Kaplan got it. here's the answer...2.8 m/s in both the x an y directions.

You might want to take a look at http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/1DKin/U1L6a.html" . Click the next button at that site and review how these kinematic equations are used.

To get you started, consider:

You don't need to use any of the kinematic equations

You know the initial velocity. It's a vector, right? You know its magnitude and direction.
What's the magnitude of its vertical component? (Hint: this where the 2.8 came from. Think trig).
How about its horizontal component? Will the horizontal component change?
How about the vertical component?

Will the bottle's vertical motion not come to zero at some maximum height and then accelerate back down toward the ocean?

You didn't specify any difference between the height above the ocean when the bottle left the thrower's hand and the ocean level itself. Therefore, if the bottle decelerates to zero from the intial vertical velocity, then it accelerates back down over the same distance that it went up, what must be the final vertical velocity?

Last edited by a moderator:
aha, I see the 2.8 now. I had calculated the sq. rt. of 2 / 2 and the only thing I didn't do was multiply that by four. thanks

Related to Solving Bottle Thrown with Initial Velocity: Find Final Velocities

1. How do you calculate the final velocity of a bottle thrown with an initial velocity?

The final velocity of a bottle thrown with an initial velocity can be calculated using the formula:
v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time elapsed.

2. Can the final velocity be negative when solving for a bottle thrown with an initial velocity?

Yes, the final velocity can be negative if the bottle is thrown downwards or if the initial velocity is in the opposite direction of the acceleration due to gravity. In this case, the final velocity represents the speed and direction of the bottle as it falls.

3. What units should be used for the initial and final velocities when solving for a bottle thrown with an initial velocity?

The initial and final velocities should be in units of meters per second (m/s) when using the formula v = u + at. It is important to use consistent units throughout the calculation.

4. How does the angle of projection affect the final velocity when solving for a bottle thrown with an initial velocity?

The angle of projection does not affect the final velocity when solving for a bottle thrown with an initial velocity. It only affects the direction of the final velocity. The magnitude of the final velocity is determined by the initial velocity and the time elapsed.

5. Can air resistance be ignored when solving for a bottle thrown with an initial velocity?

In most cases, air resistance can be ignored when solving for a bottle thrown with an initial velocity. However, in certain situations where the bottle is thrown at very high speeds or over long distances, air resistance may need to be taken into account. This can be done using more advanced equations or by conducting experiments to measure the effects of air resistance.