Solving Block on a Wedge: Find Distance Slid by Triangle

In summary, the problem involves a triangular wedge with specific dimensions and a block placed on top. All surfaces are frictionless, causing the block to slide down the wedge while the wedge slides sideways on the table. To find the distance the wedge slides to the right by the time the block reaches the bottom, the equation m1v1+m2v2=m1v1f+m2v2f is used. By calculating the x component of the normal force, the acceleration of both the block and the wedge can be found. This, along with the initial velocity and distance, can be used to find the time and ultimately the distance the wedge slides to the right.
bmoore509

Homework Statement

A triangular wedge 5 m high, 12 m base length, and with a 14 kg mass is placed on a frictionless table. A small block with a 5 kg mass (and negligible size) is placed on top of the wedge as shown in the figure below.
All surfaces are frictionless, so the block slides down the wedge while the wedge slides sidewise on the table. By the time the block slides all the way down to the bottom of the wedge, how far does the wedge slide to the right?

Homework Equations

m1v1+m2v2=m1v1f+m2v2f ?
tantheta=opp/adj
w=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know where to go with this. So far I have
Theta = arctan (5/12) = 22.61986495

w=mgsintheta=5*9.8*sin(22.61986495)=49
So I know that the 49 there is the force that will be making the block go down the wedge. But what I don't know is what to do with that information. I'm stuck and confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
what you're going to want to do is calculate the x component of the normal force. This is the same force that is accelerating your block.

The "reaction force" to this force will push the wedge the other way. So basically you have a constant force acting upon both the block and the wedge. if you have force and mass then you have acceleration.

Now that you have the acceleration, you can find out the length of the hypotenuse of the wedge and there you have a distance travelled. Once you have accleration, distance, and initial velocity, you can find the time. Once you have found the time, you can use that and the accleration of the second block to find the distance.

I was very concise if you want me to elaborate on anything please ask.

Related to Solving Block on a Wedge: Find Distance Slid by Triangle

What is the concept of "Solving Block on a Wedge: Find Distance Slid by Triangle"?

The concept of "Solving Block on a Wedge: Find Distance Slid by Triangle" involves using principles of physics and geometry to determine the distance a block will slide down a wedge-shaped surface.

What are the key factors that affect the distance the block will slide?

The key factors that affect the distance the block will slide include the angle of the wedge, the coefficient of friction between the block and the wedge, and the initial velocity of the block.

How is the distance slid calculated in this scenario?

The distance slid can be calculated using the formula d = (u^2sin2θ)/g, where d is the distance, u is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of the wedge, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What are some real-life applications of this concept?

This concept can be applied in various situations, such as calculating the distance a car will slide down a sloped road, determining the angle and velocity needed for a ball to roll down a curved ramp, or predicting the distance a skier will slide down a mountain.

Are there any limitations to this concept?

This concept assumes a perfectly flat and frictionless surface, which may not always be the case in real-life scenarios. Additionally, other factors such as air resistance and the shape of the block may also affect the distance slid.