Solving Binary Addition with 4-Bit Full Adder and Decoders

• Thread starter zeroground
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decoder
In summary, the conversation discusses using two 4-bit full adders, two decoders, and three seven segments to add numbers in binary and convert them to decimal. The issue arises with arranging the pins from the full adders in the two decoders to properly display numbers larger than 9. Suggestions are given for using three 4-bit BCD dec counters to solve the problem.
zeroground
1. if i i have two "4 bit full adders" and two decoders and three seven segments and i wanted to add numbers in binary with the input and convert it to decimal and show it on the seven segments

2. i did everything and i put the "Carry out" from the first adder into the "Carry in" of the second adder But there's a problem facing me the pins "S0,S1,S2,S3" and "S4,S5,S6,S7" from the full adders how can i arrange them to show the number on the right way

this is urgent ...
thnx

Physics news on Phys.org
i mean how can i put them in the two BCDs ?
How can i put the tenth alone and the hunder's alone ?

zeroground said:
1. if i i have two "4 bit full adders" and two decoders and three seven segments and i wanted to add numbers in binary and converting it to decimal by using bcd decoder and show it on the seven segment

2. i did succeeded to show till number 9 ...But after 9 how it will work ?
i did everything and i put the "Carry out" from the first adder into the "Carry in" of the second adder But there's a problem facing me that the pins "S0,S1,S2,S3" and "S4,S5,S6,S7" from the full adders how can i arrange them in the 2 decoders to show number 255 for example ..

this is urgent ...
thnx

Two "4 bit full adders" can generate a counter from 0-16, how can you generate 0 - 255?
btw, I don't like "urgent" question.:wink:

one 4 bit full adder has "S0,S1,S2,S3" which can be 1111 which is 15
two 4 bit full adders has "S0,S1,S2,S3,S4,S5,S6,S7" WHICH can be 11111111 which is 255

OK, I understand what's you mean.

I think it's impossible to get '255' from 1111 1111, because a BCD-to-7-segments can only convert the 0000-1001 to 0-9. You can't get any carry if the counter overflow by 10 or 100.

If you have three "4bit-BCD-dec-counter", your problem can be solved.

But 11110000 + 00001111 can get 11111111 :)

can u tell me what to do ?

Hey, Have you ever finish your Task? If not, follow my suggestion I said early, what you need is three "4bit-BCD-dec-counter", Good luck.

Related to Solving Binary Addition with 4-Bit Full Adder and Decoders

1. What is a 4-bit full adder?

A 4-bit full adder is a digital circuit that performs the addition operation on 4-bit binary numbers. It has four inputs, A0-A3 and B0-B3, and three outputs, S0-S3 and Cout. The inputs represent the four bits of the first and second number to be added, and the outputs represent the four bits of the result of the addition, as well as the carry bit if the result is greater than 4 bits.

2. How does a 4-bit full adder work?

A 4-bit full adder works by using a combination of logic gates, such as AND, OR, and XOR gates, to perform the binary addition operation on the four input bits. The circuit also includes a carry input, which is used to account for carry bits from previous additions. The output of the circuit is determined by the inputs and the carry input, and is represented by the four output bits and the carry output.

3. What is the purpose of decoders in binary addition?

Decoders are used in binary addition to convert binary numbers into their corresponding decimal or binary values. In the context of a 4-bit full adder, decoders are used to convert the four output bits into a single decimal or binary number, representing the result of the addition operation. This allows us to easily read and interpret the output of the adder.

4. How do you solve binary addition using a 4-bit full adder and decoders?

To solve binary addition using a 4-bit full adder and decoders, you would first input the two 4-bit binary numbers into the adder. The adder would then perform the addition operation and produce a 4-bit binary result, as well as a carry output. The output bits can then be fed into a decoder, which will convert them into a single decimal or binary number. This final output represents the result of the binary addition operation.

5. What are the limitations of using a 4-bit full adder for binary addition?

A 4-bit full adder can only perform addition on two 4-bit binary numbers at a time. This means it is limited to adding numbers that are within the range of 0 to 15. If you need to add larger numbers, you would need to use a larger full adder, such as an 8-bit or 16-bit full adder. Additionally, the use of decoders in the circuit can increase the complexity and size of the overall circuit, making it less practical for certain applications.