Solving Bernouli Equation with x $\frac{dy}{dx}+y=\frac{1}{y^2}$

• Thread starter n1person
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bernouli
In summary, the speaker has been reviewing differential equation solving skills and has encountered a problem with one particular question. They use the Bernouli equation to solve the problem and arrive at the answer y^3=1, which is different from the answer given in the book. After realizing their mistake in forgetting the constant of integration, they are able to understand how the book arrived at their answer.
n1person
Recently I've been going back in my differential equation book to review some differential equation solving skills, in particular bernouli, ricatti's, and clairaut's equations; simple things enough. However when doing the exercises I have kept running into a "problem" with one question.

[tex]x \frac{dy}{dx} + y = \frac{1}{y^2}[/tex]

Now I get it into the form to use the bernouli equation:

Divide by x

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} + \frac{y}{x} = \frac{1}{xy^2}[/tex]

Multiply by y2

[tex]y^2 \frac{dy}{dx} + \frac{y^3}{x} = \frac{1}{x}[/tex]

So [tex]w=y^3[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dw}{dx}=3y^2\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

So now the equation is [tex]\frac{dw}{dx} + \frac{3w}{x} = \frac{3}{x}[/tex]

So the integrating factor is [tex]e^\int^\frac{3}{x}^d^x=x^3[/tex]

So you get [tex]\frac{d(wx^3)}{dx}=3x^2[/tex]

w=1, so [tex]y^3=w=1=y[/tex]

Which one can see works easily when plugging into the original formula. However the book gives a different answer of [tex]y^3=1+cx^-^3[/tex] which I don't understand how one could get with bernouli (and my calculator gives me the same answer with deSolve)... any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
n1person said:
So you get [tex]\frac{d(wx^3)}{dx}=3x^2[/tex]

w=1, so [tex]y^3=w=1=y[/tex]

Which one can see works easily when plugging into the original formula. However the book gives a different answer of [tex]y^3=1+cx^-^3[/tex] which I don't understand how one could get with bernouli (and my calculator gives me the same answer with deSolve)... any help?

Now if
[tex]\frac{d(wx^3)}{dx}=3x^2[/tex]

then [itex]wx^3= ?[/itex]

When you get that, sub back w=y3 and then divide by x3

ahhhh! I forgot the constant of integration :( how silly of me...

Related to Solving Bernouli Equation with x $\frac{dy}{dx}+y=\frac{1}{y^2}$

1. How do you solve a Bernoulli equation with a term involving the derivative?

The first step is to rewrite the equation in a standard form by dividing both sides by the coefficient of the derivative term. In this case, we would divide both sides by y^2. This will give us a new variable, u, where u = y^(1-n). Then, we can substitute u and its derivative into the equation and solve for u. Finally, we can solve for y by substituting back in the value of u.

2. What is the general form of a Bernoulli equation?

A Bernoulli equation is a differential equation in the form of y' + P(x)y = Q(x)y^n, where n is a constant. The term involving the derivative can have a coefficient other than 1, and the other two terms can involve any functions of x.

3. What is the significance of the constant n in a Bernoulli equation?

The constant n determines the type of equation we are dealing with. If n = 0, we have a linear differential equation. If n = 1, we have a separable differential equation. If n = 2, we have a type of differential equation known as a Bernoulli equation, which can be solved using the substitution method.

4. Can you provide an example of a real-world application of a Bernoulli equation?

One example is in physics, where the equation for air resistance on a falling object can be modeled using a Bernoulli equation. This equation takes into account the velocity and position of the object, as well as other factors such as air density and cross-sectional area, to determine the rate of change of velocity over time.

5. Are there any limitations to using the substitution method to solve a Bernoulli equation?

Yes, there are some limitations. The substitution method is only applicable to equations where the term involving the derivative has a coefficient of 1. It also only works for equations with a constant value of n. If n is a function of x, the substitution method will not work and another approach, such as using an integrating factor, may be necessary.