Solving Astronaut Problem: Force & Acceleration

• Thread starter fashion_fever
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Astronaut
In summary, three astronauts equipped with jetpacks are exerting forces on a 127 kg satellite, with forces of 31.7 N at an angle of 30.8 degrees above the horizontal, 40.2 N at 58.6 degrees below the horizontal, and 53.9 N along the horizontal. To find the satellite's acceleration, the total force was calculated using the horizontal and vertical components of each force. However, there was an error in the equation as the horizontal force of one astronaut was mistakenly opposing the other two. After correcting the error, the correct result was obtained.
fashion_fever

Homework Statement

Three astronauts equipped with jetpacks are pushing a satellite, having a mass of 127 kg, through space. The forces being exerted on the satellite are F1=31.7 N at an angle of 30.8 degrees above the horizontal, F2=40.2 N at 58.6 degrees below the horizontal, and F3=53.9 N along the horizontal.

What is the magnitude of the satellite's acceleration?

Homework Equations

okay so i thought of finding the total force and then using f=ma.

The Attempt at a Solution

31.7N : 31.7sin30.8, 31.7cos30.8
40.2N: -40.2sin58.6, -40.2cos58.6
53.9N: 53.9sin0, 53.9cos0

i added the sin together and cos together and used Pythagorean Theorem to find the total force and plug that into the equation and i got the answer wrong so i don't know where it's wrong. Plz help..

Attachments

• hr-pic0510.png
    hr-pic0510.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
What answer did you get? I've worked it out and will compare yours to mine.

Jared

Here's a hint, the vertical velocities are opposing each other so one is + and one is - (Sin values are correct). Your problem is you have also made your equation so that the horizontal force of the lower guy (below horizontal) is opposing the other two.

Jared

Last edited:
oh! omg..okay i got it it was suppose to be +40.2cos58.6..
tytytytyty!

There we go, glad to help.

Jared

Related to Solving Astronaut Problem: Force & Acceleration

1. What is the astronaut problem and why is it important to solve?

The astronaut problem refers to the challenge of safely and effectively moving objects and humans in space. This is important to solve because it impacts our ability to conduct space missions and explore the universe.

2. How does force and acceleration play a role in solving the astronaut problem?

Force and acceleration are fundamental concepts in physics that are crucial in solving the astronaut problem. Force is needed to move objects, and acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes, making it crucial in determining how quickly and in what direction an object can be moved in space.

3. What are some of the key challenges in solving the astronaut problem?

Some of the key challenges in solving the astronaut problem include the lack of gravity in space, the need for precise calculations and measurements, and the limitations of current technology. Additionally, the safety and well-being of astronauts must also be considered in any solutions.

4. How do scientists and engineers approach solving the astronaut problem?

Scientists and engineers approach solving the astronaut problem by using a combination of theoretical knowledge, experimental data, and advanced technology. They also collaborate and conduct extensive research to develop effective solutions that can address the complex challenges of moving objects and humans in space.

5. What are some potential solutions to the astronaut problem?

Some potential solutions to the astronaut problem include the use of propulsion systems, advanced materials, and robotics. Scientists and engineers are also exploring the potential of new technologies, such as electromagnetic propulsion and solar sails, to address the challenges of force and acceleration in space.