Solving Arithmetic Progression: Sum and Product of Four Integers

In summary: You're assuming that the common difference is 2d, so you'll need to account for that in your answer.In summary, to find the four integers in an arithmetic progression (AP) with a sum of 24 and a product of 945, two equations can be used to solve for the two unknowns, the first being 2a+d=12 and the second being (a-d)(a)(a+d)(a+2d) = 945. However, a more elegant solution can be found by assuming the integers to be (a-3d), (a-d), (a+d), and (a+3d) and using the equation (6-3d)(6-d)(6+d)(6
REVIANNA

Homework Statement

the sum of four integers in A.P is 24 and their product is 945.find them

Homework Equations

##(a-d)+a+(a+d)+(a+2*d)=24##
##2a+d=12##

##(a+d)(a-d)(a)(a+2d)=945##
##(a^2-d^2)(a^2+2*a*d)=945##

The Attempt at a Solution

there are two equations and two unknowns a(one of the integers) and d(common diff of the A.P)
but I have trouble manipulating the second(product) equation so that the result of the 1st eq can be used.
help!

Physics news on Phys.org
REVIANNA said:

Homework Statement

the sum of four integers in A.P is 24 and their product is 945.find them

Homework Equations

##(a-d)+a+(a+d)+(a+2*d)=24##
##2a+d=12##
Solve for one of the variables above in terms of the other, and then substitute for that variable in the equation below.
REVIANNA said:
##(a+d)(a-d)(a)(a+2d)=945##
##(a^2-d^2)(a^2+2*a*d)=945##

The Attempt at a Solution

there are two equations and two unknowns a(one of the integers) and d(common diff of the A.P)
but I have trouble manipulating the second(product) equation so that the result of the 1st eq can be used.
help!

Mark44 said:
Solve for one of the variables above in terms of the other, and then substitute for that variable in the equation below.

I could have done that but I found a more elegant solution(given at the back with hints which I previously ignored)

assume the integers
##(a-3*d)+(a-d)+(a+d)+(a+3*d)=4*a=24##

##(6-3*d)(6-d)(6+d)(6+3*d)=945##

this is much easier to solve.
and I think we can come up with such terms when 6 terms are asked for?

##(a-5*d)+(a-3*d)+(a-d)+(a+d)+(a+3*d)+(a+5*d)##

and for even number of terms we can have the common difference d instead of 2d

for 5 terms

##(a-2d)+(a-d)+a+(a+d)+(a+2d)##

REVIANNA said:
I could have done that but I found a more elegant solution(given at the back with hints which I previously ignored)

assume the integers
##(a-3*d)+(a-d)+(a+d)+(a+3*d)=4*a=24##
In the above, you're assuming that the common difference between the integers in the AP is 2d, so you'll need to account for that in your answer.
REVIANNA said:
##(6-3*d)(6-d)(6+d)(6+3*d)=945##

this is much easier to solve.
and I think we can come up with such terms when 6 terms are asked for?

##(a-5*d)+(a-3*d)+(a-d)+(a+d)+(a+3*d)+(a+5*d)##
Same here.

Related to Solving Arithmetic Progression: Sum and Product of Four Integers

What is an Arithmetic Progression?

An Arithmetic Progression (AP) is a sequence of numbers where the difference between each consecutive term is constant. This constant difference is called the common difference, denoted by d. The first term of an AP is denoted by 'a' and the nth term is denoted by 'an'.

How do you find the common difference of an Arithmetic Progression?

The common difference of an AP can be calculated by subtracting any two consecutive terms of the sequence. For example, if the first two terms of an AP are 2 and 6, the common difference would be 6-2 = 4.

What is the formula for finding the nth term of an Arithmetic Progression?

The formula for finding the nth term of an AP is: an = a + (n-1)d, where 'a' is the first term and 'd' is the common difference.

How do you find the sum of an Arithmetic Progression?

The sum of an AP can be calculated by using the formula: Sn = (n/2)(2a + (n-1)d), where 'n' is the number of terms, 'a' is the first term, and 'd' is the common difference.

What is the difference between an Arithmetic Progression and a Geometric Progression?

An Arithmetic Progression has a constant difference between consecutive terms, while a Geometric Progression has a constant ratio between consecutive terms. In other words, in an AP, the difference between terms is always the same, while in a GP, the ratio between terms is always the same.