Solving an RLC Circuit: Seeking Help to Begin

In summary, the conversation involves a person asking for help with a problem involving an RLC circuit. The circuit has a 3-mF capacitor initially charged to 30 micronC, a 1.5-mH inductor with very small resistance, and after 100 oscillations the current through the inductor is zero while the capacitor is still charged at 5 micronC. They are asking for the resistance of the circuit and the energies before and after 100 oscillations. The other person suggests they start by looking at their textbook and figuring out if it is a series or parallel circuit, and if they have expressions for q_C(t), v_C(t), or i_L(t).
brad sue
HI,
I don't really get this problem. Can I have some suggestion please?

The 3-mF capacitor of an RLC circuit is initially charged to 30 micronC.
The 1.5-mH inductor has a very small resistance.At particular instant, after 100 oscillations, the current through the inductor is zero while the capacitor is still charged at 5 micronC.
1- What is the resistance of the circuit?
2- what are the energies of the circuit before and after 100 oscillations?

Please Can I have some help so I can start?

thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
It really would be best if you started it yourself. What do you have to work with? What do the relevant sections in your textbook say? Is this a series RLC circuit, or a parallel RLC circuit? Also, do you have an expression for any of the following quantities for your circuit?

* [itex]q_C(t)[/itex], the charge held by the capacitor
* [itex]v_C(t)[/itex], the voltage across the capacitor
* [itex]i_L(t)[/itex], the current through the inductor

Once you have one of the above you can use the given information to find the requested information.

for reaching out for help. Solving RLC circuits can be challenging, so it's great that you are seeking assistance to begin. Here are some steps you can follow to solve this problem:

1. Start by drawing a circuit diagram of the RLC circuit. This will help you visualize the components and their connections.

2. Use the given information to label the values of the capacitor (3mF), inductor (1.5mH), and initial charge on the capacitor (30 micronC).

3. Since the inductor has a very small resistance, we can assume that its resistance is negligible and can be ignored in calculations.

4. Use the formula for the energy stored in a capacitor (E = 1/2 * C * V^2) to calculate the initial energy in the circuit, where C is the capacitance and V is the initial voltage across the capacitor (30 micronC/3mF = 10 V). This will give you the energy before 100 oscillations.

5. After 100 oscillations, the current through the inductor is zero, which means all the energy is stored in the capacitor. Use the formula for the energy in an inductor (E = 1/2 * L * I^2) to calculate the energy stored in the inductor, where L is the inductance and I is the current (zero in this case). This will give you the energy after 100 oscillations.

6. To find the resistance of the circuit, you can use the formula for the impedance of an RLC circuit (Z = √(R^2 + (Xl - Xc)^2)), where R is the resistance, Xl is the inductive reactance, and Xc is the capacitive reactance. Since the inductor has very small resistance, you can ignore it in this calculation and only consider the capacitive reactance (Xc = 1/ωC, where ω is the angular frequency of the circuit).

7. Once you have the impedance, you can use Ohm's Law (V = I * Z) to find the voltage across the circuit. Since you already know the initial voltage across the capacitor (10 V), you can use this to find the current (I = V/Z).

8. Finally, use the formula for the energy in a capacitor (E = 1/2 * C * V^2) to find the energy

Related to Solving an RLC Circuit: Seeking Help to Begin

1. How do I calculate the total impedance of an RLC circuit?

To calculate the total impedance of an RLC circuit, you will need to use the formula Z = √(R^2 + (Xl - Xc)^2), where R is the resistance, Xl is the inductive reactance, and Xc is the capacitive reactance. Once you have calculated the total impedance, you can use it to find the current and voltage in the circuit.

2. What is the difference between a series and parallel RLC circuit?

A series RLC circuit has all of its components (resistance, inductance, and capacitance) connected in a single loop, while a parallel RLC circuit has the components connected in separate branches. In a series circuit, the current flowing through each component is the same, while in a parallel circuit, the voltage across each component is the same.

3. How do I find the resonant frequency of an RLC circuit?

The resonant frequency of an RLC circuit can be found using the formula f = 1/(2π√(LC)), where L is the inductance and C is the capacitance. This is the frequency at which the reactance of the inductor and capacitor cancel each other out, resulting in a maximum current in the circuit.

4. Can I use Kirchhoff's laws to solve an RLC circuit?

Yes, Kirchhoff's laws (Kirchhoff's current law and Kirchhoff's voltage law) can be used to solve an RLC circuit. These laws state that the sum of currents at any junction in a circuit is equal to zero, and the sum of voltages around a closed loop in a circuit is equal to zero.

5. How do I determine the phase angle in an RLC circuit?

The phase angle in an RLC circuit can be determined by calculating the arctan(Xl - Xc)/R, where Xl is the inductive reactance, Xc is the capacitive reactance, and R is the resistance. This phase angle represents the phase difference between the current and voltage in the circuit.