Solving an ODE using shooting method

In summary: You should instead try to increase the number of steps in your solution. Also, try to plot the solution with connection points between the NDSolve points. Maybe the solution is not oscillating, but it seems so only because you draw the line between two points only if the solution is within 1.2.
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

I have been trying to solve the following nonlinear ordinary differential equation:

##-\Phi''-\frac{3}{r}\Phi'+\Phi-\frac{3}{2}\Phi^{2}+\frac{\alpha}{2}\Phi^{3}=0##

with boundary conditions ##\Phi'(0)=0,\Phi(\infty)=0.##

Homework Equations

My solution is supposed to reproduce the following plots:

Capture.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, to produce the plots given above, I wrote the following Mathematica code:

\[Alpha] = 0.99;
\[CapitalPhi]lower = 0;
\[CapitalPhi]upper = 5;
For[counter = 0, counter <= 198, counter++,
\[CapitalPhi]0 = (\[CapitalPhi]lower + \[CapitalPhi]upper)/2;
r0 = 0.00001;
\[CapitalPhi]r0 = \[CapitalPhi]0 + (1/16) (r0^2) (2 (\[CapitalPhi]0) - 3 (\[CapitalPhi]0^2) + \[Alpha] (\[CapitalPhi]0^3));
\[CapitalPhi]pr0 = (1/8) (r0) (2 (\[CapitalPhi]0) - 3 (\[CapitalPhi]0^2) + \[Alpha] (\[CapitalPhi]0^3));
differential equation = {-\[CapitalPhi]''[r] - (3/r) \[CapitalPhi]'[r] + \[CapitalPhi][r] - (3/2) (\[CapitalPhi][r]^2) + (\[Alpha]/2) (\[CapitalPhi][r]^3) == 0, \[CapitalPhi][r0] == \[CapitalPhi]r0, \[CapitalPhi]'[r0] == \[CapitalPhi]pr0};
sol = NDSolve[diffeq, \[CapitalPhi], {r, r0, 200}, Method -> "ExplicitRungeKutta"];
\[CapitalPhi]test = \[CapitalPhi][200] /. sol[[1]];
\[CapitalPhi]upper = If[(\[CapitalPhi]test < 0) || (\[CapitalPhi]test >
1.2), \[CapitalPhi]0, \[CapitalPhi]upper];
\[CapitalPhi]lower = If[(\[CapitalPhi]test < 1.2) && (\[CapitalPhi]test > 0), \[CapitalPhi]0, \[CapitalPhi]lower];
]
Plot[Evaluate[{\[CapitalPhi][r]} /. sol[[1]]], {r, 0, 200}, PlotRange -> All, PlotStyle -> Automatic]

In the code, I used Taylor expansion at ##r=0## due to the ##-\frac{3}{r}\Phi'## term. Moreover, I used shooting method and continually bisected an initial interval from ##\Phi_{\text{upper}}=5## to ##\Phi_{\text{lower}}=0## to obtain more and more precise values of ##\Phi(0)##.

With the code above, I was able to produce the plots for ##\alpha = 0.50, 0.90, 0.95,0.96,0.97##. For example, my plot for ##\alpha = 0.50## is as follows:

phi_0_50.jpg

However, my plot for ##\alpha = 0.99## does not converge to the required plot:

phi_0_99.jpg

Can you suggest how I might tackle this problem for ##\alpha = 0.99##? Also, is there an explanation for the plots shooting upwards and oscillating after a prolonged asymptotic trend towards the positive ##r##-axis?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Mathematica code is not readable, try to reformat it or export it as text of LaTeX.

For ##\alpha=0.99## the decay is very steep and maybe the Runge-Kutta may not handle it very good. Try to use a steep method instead.

My edit button is missing, so let me repost my code below:

$$
α = 0.99;
Φlower = 0;
Φupper = 5;
For[counter = 0, counter <= 198, counter++,
Φ0 = (Φlower + Φupper)/2;
r0 = 0.00001;
Φr0 = Φ0 + (1/16) (r0^2) (2 (Φ0) - 3 (Φ0^2) + α (Φ0^3));
Φpr0 = (1/8) (r0) (2 (Φ0) - 3 (Φ0^2) + α (Φ0^3));
differential equation = {-Φ''[r] - (3/r) Φ'[r] + Φ[r] - (3/2) (Φ[r]^2) + (α/2) (Φ[r]^3) == 0, Φ[r0] == Φr0, Φ'[r0] == Φpr0};
sol = NDSolve[diffeq, Φ, {r, r0, 200}, Method -> "ExplicitRungeKutta"];
Φtest = Φ[200] /. sol[[1]];
Φupper = If[(Φtest < 0) || (Φtest > 1.2), Φ0, Φupper];
Φlower = If[(Φtest < 1.2) && (Φtest > 0), Φ0, Φlower];
]
Plot[Evaluate[{Φ[r]} /. sol[[1]]], {r, 0, 200},
PlotRange -> All, PlotStyle -> Automatic]
$$

Might you perhaps provide examples of steep methods or links to available resources? I looked online, but couldn't find resources.

I mean methods for stiff problems, problems which display steep changes. My mistake.

Do you mean that the decay for ##\alpha = 0.99## is not reasonable, perhaps because the solution suddenly takes a plunge downwards after being stable for quite a while?

Yes, for problems where you have sudden variations some of the numerical methods won't work. However, you function remembers me of the solution of the cubic-quintic nonlinear Schroedinger equation for which we used some numerical relaxation method to get the top-flat profiles.

So, do you mean that the steep decay itself is not a problem at all, but rather that some numerical methods such as Runge-Kutta do not give accurate plots in such cases?

Thanks! I'll look into it.

I've also heard of other numerical methods such as finite differences, collocation, multiple shooting, decoupling, and fixed point iteration. Do you think these methods might be any good?

The shooting method is very simple, but is higly sensitive to the initial condition. You "##\alpha=0.99##" is only an aproximated value because internally the number is stored in floating point convention.
1) try to increase the precision
2) what happens if you increase the total number of iterations ?
3) as your function needs to approach zero (asimptotically) I would test the value ##\Phi(r=130)## against zero, remove the "1.2 comparison".

I think that shooting method shold work here, let's first check that we do everithing right. I never used Mathematica, but only Matlab and some C code from Numerical Recipes. With finite differences you are locked to a fixed mesh and you will to readjust it for each computation (evaluate the spatial extension of the function, how rapidly changes in space), multiple shooting it's shooting with two or more parameters and you can't apply directly the bisection method and the fixed point iteration depends on the problem you want to solve. For the top-flat profiles the finite diferences and fixed point methods need a good aproximation of your solution in order to converge.

[edit] misread - after many readings !

Last edited:

Related to Solving an ODE using shooting method

What is an ODE?

An ODE, or Ordinary Differential Equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model dynamic systems.

What is the shooting method?

The shooting method is a numerical technique used to solve ODEs. It involves transforming the ODE into a system of first-order equations, and then solving for the initial conditions that result in the desired solution.

How does the shooting method work?

The shooting method works by guessing an initial value for one of the boundary conditions and using it to solve the ODE. If the resulting solution does not satisfy the other boundary condition, the initial guess is adjusted and the process is repeated until the solution meets both boundary conditions.

What are the advantages of using the shooting method?

The shooting method is a versatile and efficient technique for solving ODEs. It can handle a wide range of problems, including nonlinear and stiff equations. It also allows for easy implementation and does not require knowledge of the analytical solution.

What are the limitations of the shooting method?

The shooting method may not converge to a solution if the initial guess is too far from the true solution. It also requires some trial and error in choosing the initial guess, which can be time-consuming for complex problems. Additionally, it may not be suitable for ODEs with discontinuities or singularities.