Solving an Integral Involving Conversion to Cosine

In summary, the conversation revolved around solving the integral of (x^2)/(4+x^2)^(7/2). The suggested methods included using hyperbolic substitutions, the tabular method, and transforming the integral into one involving cosine. Some participants expressed their preference for hyperbolic functions, while others were skeptical of the tabular method. One person also mentioned experiencing difficulty with using hyperbolic functions in a previous math course. The conversation concluded with an observation that the problem was solved before the OP could respond.
mugzieee
i had this problem on an exam today,
Intagral of (x^2)/(4+x^2)^(7/2)
i arrived at a point where i had to convert the integral of 1/secx to cos, is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, someone here would have to do the whole problem to see if that's right. Why don't you show us your work, and we'll go from there.

Okay.Do first a part integration.Denote the integral u want to compute by "I".

[tex] I=:\int \frac{x^{2}}{(x^{2}+4)^{\frac{7}{2}}} \ dx [/tex] (1)

Do a part integration:

[tex] I=(\frac{1}{2}x)[\frac{(x^{2}+4)^{-\frac{5}{2}}}{-\frac{5}{2}}]+\frac{1}{5}\int \frac{dx}{(x^{2}+4)^{\frac{5}{2}}} [/tex] (2)

Denote the integral from (2) by J...Make the substitution:

[tex] x=2\sinh t [/tex] (3)

[tex] dx=2\cosh t \ dt [/tex] (4)

Then "J" becomes:

[tex] J=\int \frac{2\cosh t}{4^{\frac{5}{2}} \cosh^{5}t} \ dt=\frac{1}{16} \int \frac{dt}{\cosh^{4}t} [/tex] (5)

Now make the substitutions:

[tex] \tanh t= u [/tex] (6)

[tex] dt=\frac{du}{1-u^{2}} [/tex] (7)

So "J" will finally be

[tex] J=\frac{1}{16}\int (1-u^{2}) \ du =\frac{1}{16}(u-\frac{u^{3}}{3} +C) [/tex] (8)

Now express "J" in terms of "x" & plug in (2)...

Daniel.

Last edited:
Okay,here are a part of the missing calculations,in case you could't do it,even after having gotten the indications...

Daniel.

Attachments

• Integral.doc
    37.5 KB · Views: 156
If you don't want to use hyperbolic susbtitutions, you could use the tabular method. Choose [tex]x^2[/tex] as the term you differentiate and use [tex]\frac{1}{({x^2+4})^\frac{7}{2}}[/tex] as the term you integrate.

What's the tabular method (i've never heard of this name) ?

Daniel.

The table method is an algorithm for doing multiple integrations by parts quickly. It's often emphasized to engineers over simply doing the integrations in the normal way (don't ask me why, because it's not any easier when you're doing the integration by hand anyways, and it makes you forget why the method works at all).

No wonder i haven't heard of it.I'm not (and never will be) an engineer...

Daniel.

Here's an alternate way of doing the integral, by the way, without resorting to hyperbolic functions and integration by parts, and that involves using [tex]{1\over \sec{x}} = \cos{x}[/tex]:

[tex] I(x) = \int \frac{x^2}{(x^2+4)^{\frac{7}{2}}} dx = {1\over 16}\int \frac{\tan^2{t}\sec^2{t}}{\sec^7{t}} dt = {1\over 16}\int \frac{\sec^2{t}-1}{\sec^5{t}} dt = {1\over 16}\int (\cos^3{t} - \cos^5{t}) dt = {1\over 16}\int (1-u^2-(1-u^2)^2) du[/tex]

[tex]= {1\over 16} \int (u^2 - u^4) du = {1\over 16}\left( \frac{u^3}{3} - \frac{u^5}{5} + C\right) = {1\over 16}\left( \frac{x^3}{3(4+x^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}} - \frac{x^5}{5(4+x^2)^{\frac{5}{2}}} + C\right)[/tex]

where [tex]x = 2\tan{t}, \; u = \sin{t}[/tex].

Last edited:
Very good.Now the OP has 2 options.One more advice,learn to break the lines,instead of one big code between [tex] tags,use less code inside 2 tags.It will look better.

Daniel.

P.S.I've always liked hyperbolic functions...

I like them too. The last time I tried to use them, though, my Mathematical Methods TA decided to take off marks because she didn't want to multiply out the exponentials to see if my answer (expressed in terms of hyperbolic functions) matched hers (even though I provided proof that the transformation I used was right, since it wasn't taught in class - perplexing). I got the marks back of course, but now I'm scared of those things! :)

If I may interject about the tabular method.

I am an aerospace engineering major, my math classes are from the Applied Math department, same college.

We never learned tabular, my book barely mentions it too.

All I know is that they teach it here to engineers, and most of them swear by it. I don't understand why~

Perhaps you guys should have waited for the OP's response rather than doing the problem for him/her.

Related to Solving an Integral Involving Conversion to Cosine

1. How do I solve an integral involving conversion to cosine?

To solve an integral involving conversion to cosine, you can use the trigonometric identity of cos^2(x) = (1+cos(2x))/2 or cos^2(x) = (1-cos(2x))/2. This will allow you to simplify the integral and solve it using standard integration techniques.

2. What is the purpose of converting to cosine in an integral?

Converting to cosine in an integral allows you to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve. It also allows you to use trigonometric identities to manipulate the integral into a form that can be solved using standard integration techniques.

3. Can I convert any integral to involve cosine?

No, not all integrals can be converted to involve cosine. This technique is most useful for integrals involving powers of sine and cosine, or when the integral involves a square root of a quadratic expression.

4. Are there any specific steps I should follow when converting to cosine in an integral?

Yes, there are specific steps you can follow when converting to cosine in an integral. First, look for any powers of sine or cosine in the integrand. Then, use the appropriate trigonometric identity to simplify the integral. Finally, solve the resulting integral using standard integration techniques.

5. Can I use other trigonometric identities besides cos^2(x) = (1+cos(2x))/2 or cos^2(x) = (1-cos(2x))/2?

Yes, there are other trigonometric identities that can be used when converting to cosine in an integral. Some common ones include sin^2(x) = (1-cos(2x))/2, tan^2(x) = (sec^2(x) - 1)/2, and csc^2(x) = (1 + cot^2(x))/2. The specific identity you use will depend on the integrand and the goal of the conversion.