Solving an Inequality: -9 < 1/x

• Thread starter brownman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the inequality -9 < 1/x, with the solution being x < -1/9. The person is curious about any helpful rules for inequalities and is reminded to consider the case where x is negative.
brownman

Homework Statement

Solve the inequality -9 < 1/x

A simple inequality, I can see the solution is just x < -1/9 but I can't prove it at all.

The Attempt at a Solution

-9 < 1/x

-9x < 1

x > -1/9

Any helpful rules I am forgetting about inequalities? This was a problem in a review from high school set provided by my instructor for my introductory math class. Just curious about a solution, it's a calculus course that doesn't really test on this sort of thing but I figure I should actually try and figure out these basic things.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

brownman said:

Homework Statement

Solve the inequality -9 < 1/x

A simple inequality, I can see the solution is just x < -1/9 but I can't prove it at all.

The Attempt at a Solution

-9 < 1/x

-9x < 1

x > -1/9

Any helpful rules I am forgetting about inequalities? This was a problem in a review from high school set provided by my instructor for my introductory math class. Just curious about a solution, I have no

You are forgetting if you multiply both sides by x and x is negative you have to reverse the inequality. Split into two cases x>0 and x<0.

Oh okay, that makes sense, thanks for the help :).

Related to Solving an Inequality: -9 < 1/x

1. How do I solve an inequality that involves a fraction?

To solve an inequality involving a fraction, you first need to isolate the fraction on one side of the inequality sign. In this case, we can multiply both sides by the denominator of the fraction to eliminate it from the inequality. This will leave us with a regular algebraic inequality that can be solved using standard methods.

2. What is the first step in solving the inequality -9 < 1/x?

The first step in solving this inequality is to multiply both sides by x. This will eliminate the fraction and leave us with a new inequality, -9x < 1.

3. Why is it necessary to flip the inequality sign when multiplying by a negative number?

When multiplying both sides of an inequality by a negative number, the inequality sign must be flipped. This is because multiplying by a negative number will change the direction of the inequality. For example, if we have x < 5 and we multiply both sides by -1, we get -x > -5. The direction of the inequality has changed because we multiplied by a negative number.

4. Can I solve this inequality by dividing both sides by a negative number?

No, you cannot solve this inequality by dividing both sides by a negative number. As mentioned before, when multiplying or dividing by a negative number, the direction of the inequality must be flipped. However, if we divide both sides by a negative number, the direction will not be flipped, and we will get a false solution.

5. How do I know which direction to flip the inequality sign?

The direction of the inequality sign should always be flipped when multiplying or dividing by a negative number. This rule applies to all inequalities, not just ones involving fractions. It is always a good idea to double-check the direction of the inequality after performing any mathematical operations on it.