Solving an equation involving Coulomb's law

In summary: However, in the second solution, you incorrectly factor the equation to get the solution. In order to find the solution, you need to factor the equation.
logearav

Homework Statement

Hi Members,
I have solved an equation involving Coulomb's law in two ways and have posted the images of the same. I get two types of equations. Please help me to find where i gone wrong?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• problem.pdf
    186.6 KB · Views: 217
  • problem1.pdf
    360.5 KB · Views: 223
Physics news on Phys.org
I looked at your second solution where you get a quadratic equation (you almost have the solution), but you apparently don't know how to factor it to get the solution. It is an interesting problem where the instructor combined the algebra of a quadratic expression with the physics. This solution of your quadratic equation is quite simple: It factors ## (Q_1-(8.0 \cdot E-6))(Q_1+(2.0 \cdot E-6))=0 ## This gives two possible solutions for ## Q1 ##. One is positive and one is negative. When you solve for ## Q_2 ## you will see that the results are such that Q1 and Q2 are a pair of charges of two (different) positive numbers, or a pair of negative charges with the same values (with the absolute values interchanged). Please proceed to solve the equation that I factored for you, and get the results. If you have any additional questions on this one, I'd be happy to assist. ... editing...the image is a little blurred, but in your final line the first term should read ## Q_1^2 ##. (It looks like you may have written ## Q_1^3 ##, but I can't see it real clearly to tell for sure.)

Last edited:
Likes logearav
Thanks Mr. Charles Link. In the first solution i get the q12 -6*10-6q1 -16*10-12 = 0
and for second one i get q12 - 6*10-6q1-16*106 = 0.
My question is why i get different powers for the term involving -16.

logearav said:
Thanks Mr. Charles Link. In the first solution i get the q12 -6*10-6q1 -16*10-12 = 0
and for second one i get q12 - 6*10-6q1-16*106 = 0.
My question is why i get different powers for the term involving -16.
Both of your posted solutions appear to give the same quadratic.

Related to Solving an equation involving Coulomb's law

1. What is Coulomb's law and how does it relate to equations?

Coulomb's law is a fundamental law of electrostatics, which describes the force between two electrically charged particles. It can be used to solve equations involving the force between two charged particles.

2. What are the variables in an equation involving Coulomb's law?

The variables in an equation involving Coulomb's law are the magnitude of the charges (q1 and q2), the distance between the charges (r), and the permittivity of free space (ε0).

3. How do you solve an equation involving Coulomb's law?

To solve an equation involving Coulomb's law, you first need to identify the known values for the variables and substitute them into the equation. Then, you can solve for the unknown variable using algebraic manipulation.

4. What are the units for the variables in an equation involving Coulomb's law?

The units for the variables in an equation involving Coulomb's law are Coulombs (C) for charge, meters (m) for distance, and Newtons (N) for force. The unit for permittivity of free space is Farads per meter (F/m).

5. What are some real-world applications of equations involving Coulomb's law?

Equations involving Coulomb's law are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as calculating the force between charged particles in an electrical circuit, predicting the behavior of particles in a plasma, and understanding the interactions between charged particles in a cloud to predict lightning strikes.