Solving an Electrical Problem: Why is the Answer Not 2s?

• Thread starter john merrick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrical
In summary, the problem statement is unclear and the given answer is not relevant to the question. It seems that the book is trying to find the time it takes for 120 J of energy to dissipate in a circuit, while your calculation finds the time it takes for 1 Coulomb of charge to pass through a cross section of the circuit. The book's equation, E=VIt, includes power and is the correct equation for finding the time it takes for a certain amount of energy to dissipate in a circuit. However, the question itself is poorly worded and does not align with the given answer.
john merrick
Homework Statement
the charge passing through a circuit has 120J of energy. if the circuit is connected to a 12V battery and the current in the circuit is 0.5A how long does it take one coulomb of charge to pass through the circuit?
Relevant Equations
E=VIt
I=Q/t
i did this
t=Q/I 1C/0.5A =2s

the book says
E=VIt 120J=12v x 0.5A x t

t=20s.

i don't understand why the answer is not 2s.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Well the problem statement seems a bit vague to me. If I interpret "the charge passing through a circuit has 120J of energy" as that the energy given from the battery to a certain amount of charge that travels one loop of the circuit is 120J, then your book is correct.
Your own calculation finds the time needed for 1 Coulomb of charge to pass through a cross section of the circuit, not through 1 loop of the circuit.

Likes john merrick
john merrick said:
i did this
t=Q/I 1C/0.5A =2s

Notice that this equation doesn't include the given amount of energy, which is a clue that it's probably not what you're looking for. If I told you the energy was 240 J instead of 120, this equation would give you an identical answer for both.

Since the question involves both energy and time, that's a big clue that you're looking for something that includes power in it, which your book's equation does (the V*I portion).

Still, the question is poorly worded in my opinion. I can't remember ever discussing the time taken for an amount of charge to pass through a circuit in my basic electronics electric circuits class. A 0.5 amp current passes 10 coulombs of charge through each point in the circuit over 20 seconds (assuming a simple series circuit), so I don't understand what the question is talking about when asks about how long it takes for 1 coulomb to pass through the circuit.

What the book's answer really tells me is that it's looking for how long it takes to dissipate the 120 J of energy, not how long it takes for some quantity of charge to move through the circuit.

Last edited:
Likes john merrick

Related to Solving an Electrical Problem: Why is the Answer Not 2s?

1. Why is the answer not 2s?

The answer to an electrical problem is not always 2s because the solution depends on the specific variables and conditions of the problem. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and use the appropriate equations and principles to arrive at the correct answer.

2. What factors affect the solution to an electrical problem?

There are several factors that can affect the solution to an electrical problem, such as the type of circuit, the presence of resistors or other components, the voltage and current values, and the overall design of the circuit. It is important to consider all of these factors when solving an electrical problem.

3. How can I determine the correct answer to an electrical problem?

To determine the correct answer to an electrical problem, you will need to use the appropriate equations and principles, as well as any given information or data. It is important to carefully follow the steps of problem-solving and double-check your work to ensure accuracy.

4. What if my solution to an electrical problem does not match the expected answer?

If your solution to an electrical problem does not match the expected answer, it is important to review your work and check for any mistakes. It is also possible that there may be multiple ways to solve the problem, so double-checking your calculations and using different methods may help to arrive at the correct answer.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving an electrical problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving an electrical problem include using incorrect equations or principles, misinterpreting given information, and making calculation errors. It is also important to properly label and keep track of units throughout the problem-solving process.