Solving Algebraic Inequality with $n$ Positive Real Numbers

• MHB
  • Thread starter lfdahl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the given problem states that for a set of positive real numbers, the sum of their squares divided by their consecutive numbers is greater than or equal to the sum of the original numbers. This can be proven using the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality and a high school proof involving quadratic equations.
lfdahl
Gold Member
MHB
Given $n$ positive real numbers: $x_1,x_2,...,x_n$.

Show, that:

\[\frac{x_1^2}{x_2}+\frac{x_2^2}{x_3}+ ... + \frac{x_{n-1}^2}{x_n}+\frac{x_n^2}{x_1} \geq x_1+x_2+...+x_n\]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
lfdahl said:
Given $n$ positive real numbers: $x_1,x_2,...,x_n$.

Show, that:

\[\frac{x_1^2}{x_2}+\frac{x_2^2}{x_3}+ ... + \frac{x_{n-1}^2}{x_n}+\frac{x_n^2}{x_1} \geq x_1+x_2+...+x_n\]
[sp]Apply the Cauchy–Schwarz inequality $|\mathbf{x.y}|^2 \leqslant \|\mathbf{x}\|^2\|\mathbf{y}\|^2$ to the vectors $$\mathbf{x} = \left(\frac{x_1}{\sqrt{x_2}},\frac{x_2}{\sqrt{x_3}},\ldots,\frac{x_{n-1}}{\sqrt{x_n}},\frac{x_n}{\sqrt{x_1}}\right), \ \mathbf{y} = \left(\sqrt{x_2},\sqrt{x_3},\ldots,\sqrt{x_n},\sqrt{x_1}\right),$$ getting $$(x_1+x_2+\ldots+x_n)^2 \leqslant \left(\frac{x_1^2}{x_2}+\frac{x_2^2}{x_3}+ \ldots + \frac{x_{n-1}^2}{x_n}+\frac{x_n^2}{x_1}\right)\left(x_2+x_3 + \ldots + x_n+x_1\right).$$ Then divide both sides by $x_1+x_2+\ldots+x_n$ to get the result.[/sp]

Good job, Opalg! Thankyou for your participation!

Your solution was exactly, what I had in mind!

Last edited:
An alternative solution can be found here:

By the AM-GM inequality, we have:

\[\frac{x_i^2}{x_{i+1}}+x_{i+1} \geq 2x_i \\\\ \Rightarrow \frac{x_1^2}{x_2}+\frac{x_2^2}{x_3}+...+\frac{x_n^2}{x_1}+x_1+x_2+...+x_n \geq 2\left ( x_1+x_2+...+x_n \right )\\\\ \Rightarrow \frac{x_1^2}{x_2}+\frac{x_2^2}{x_3}+...+\frac{x_n^2}{x_1} \geq x_1+x_2+...+x_n\]

We have the following high school proof

[sp]Given, \(\displaystyle x_1,x_2,...x_n\) positive real Nos we have:
\(\displaystyle (\frac{x_1}{\sqrt x_2}X+\sqrt x_2)^2+...(\frac{x_{n-1}}{\sqrt x_n}+\sqrt x_n)^2+(\frac{x_n}{\sqrt x_1}+\sqrt x_1)^2\geq 0\)
,which is true for all n and for all X............1
..........OR...........
\(\displaystyle (\frac{{x_1}^2}{x_2}+...\frac{x_{n-1}^2}{x_n}+\frac{{x_n}^2}{x_1})X^2+2(x_1+x_2+...x_n)X+(x_1+x_2+...x_n)\geq 0\)

Put \(\displaystyle A=(\frac{{x_1}^2}{x_2}+...\frac{x_{n-1}^2}{x_n}+\frac{{x_n}^2}{x_1})\)
\(\displaystyle B= x_1+x_2+...x_n \) and (1) becomes:

\(\displaystyle AX^2+2BX+B\geq 0\)............(2)
.........OR.......
\(\displaystyle A(X+\frac{B}{A})^2+\frac{AB-B^2}{A}\geq 0\)...............3

Now since its equivalent (1) is true for all X ,hence (3) will be true for all X and particularly for \(\displaystyle X=-\frac{B}{A}\).

And (3) becomes :

\(\displaystyle AB-B^2\geq 0\)

.........OR.........

\(\displaystyle A\geq B\)

Which is the desired inequality

Note : the same type of proof i suggested for the thread "high school inequality 3" but in a kind of backwards working .There the initial inequality should be:

\(\displaystyle (a_1X+b_1)^2+...(a_nX+b_1)^2\geq 0\) [/sp]

solakis said:
We have the following high school proof

[sp]Given, \(\displaystyle x_1,x_2,...x_n\) positive real Nos we have:
\(\displaystyle (\frac{x_1}{\sqrt x_2}X+\sqrt x_2)^2+...(\frac{x_{n-1}}{\sqrt x_n}+\sqrt x_n)^2+(\frac{x_n}{\sqrt x_1}+\sqrt x_1)^2\geq 0\)
,which is true for all n and for all X............1
..........OR...........
\(\displaystyle (\frac{{x_1}^2}{x_2}+...\frac{x_{n-1}^2}{x_n}+\frac{{x_n}^2}{x_1})X^2+2(x_1+x_2+...x_n)X+(x_1+x_2+...x_n)\geq 0\)

Put \(\displaystyle A=(\frac{{x_1}^2}{x_2}+...\frac{x_{n-1}^2}{x_n}+\frac{{x_n}^2}{x_1})\)
\(\displaystyle B= x_1+x_2+...x_n \) and (1) becomes:

\(\displaystyle AX^2+2BX+B\geq 0\)............(2)
.........OR.......
\(\displaystyle A(X+\frac{B}{A})^2+\frac{AB-B^2}{A}\geq 0\)...............3

Now since its equivalent (1) is true for all X ,hence (3) will be true for all X and particularly for \(\displaystyle X=-\frac{B}{A}\).

And (3) becomes :

\(\displaystyle AB-B^2\geq 0\)

.........OR.........

\(\displaystyle A\geq B\)

Which is the desired inequality

Note : the same type of proof i suggested for the thread "high school inequality 3" but in a kind of backwards working .There the initial inequality should be:

\(\displaystyle (a_1X+b_1)^2+...(a_nX+b_1)^2\geq 0\) [/sp]
Well done, solakis! Thankyou for your participation!

Related to Solving Algebraic Inequality with $n$ Positive Real Numbers

1. How do I solve algebraic inequalities with positive real numbers?

To solve algebraic inequalities with positive real numbers, you will need to use the properties of inequalities, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. You will also need to consider the order of operations and isolate the variable on one side of the inequality symbol.

2. What are the steps for solving an algebraic inequality with positive real numbers?

The steps for solving an algebraic inequality with positive real numbers are:1. Simplify both sides of the inequality by combining like terms.2. Use the properties of inequalities to isolate the variable on one side of the inequality symbol.3. If multiplying or dividing by a negative number, flip the inequality symbol.4. Check your solution by plugging it back into the original inequality.

3. Can I solve algebraic inequalities with more than one variable?

Yes, you can solve algebraic inequalities with more than one variable, but the solution will be in terms of one variable. This means that you will need to express one variable in terms of the other before solving the inequality.

4. How do I determine the range of values for an algebraic inequality with positive real numbers?

To determine the range of values for an algebraic inequality with positive real numbers, you will first need to solve the inequality and find the solution. The range of values will be all real numbers greater than or equal to the solution, depending on the inequality symbol used.

5. Are there any special cases when solving algebraic inequalities with positive real numbers?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when solving algebraic inequalities with positive real numbers. These include:- When multiplying or dividing by a variable, you will need to consider both positive and negative values for the variable.- When using absolute value in an inequality, you will need to remove the absolute value brackets and create two separate inequalities.- When solving inequalities with fractions, you will need to be careful with the denominator and avoid dividing by zero.