Solving Air Drag Equation for Beginners

In summary, the equation for air drag is a lot of parameters, but the simplified equation is Fd(t)= -0,5 * p * A * Cd.
v6maik
Hey,

I'm having some problems trying to solve the equation for air drag. I'm currently doing a project about solidfuel rockets and air drag is a big deal =)

I used this equation for dragforce (Fd)

Fd(t)= -0,5 * p * A * Cd (((Fm - Fg - Fd) / m ) *t)^2

which is just a lot of parameters so simplified this is:

Fd(t)= a * ((b-Fd)/c * t)^2

I'm not familiar with differential equations at all but my math teacher told me this is one. To bad he couldn't solve it though.

Does anybody know how to solve this so it can be used to calculate dragforce Fd at time t?

Thanks ahead!
Regards from the Netherlands,
Maik

Physics news on Phys.org
If a, b, c, are just constants, what you wrote is a quadratic equation for Fd, and this is solved with the usual formula.

Hello smallphi,

could you explain that showing the math? Because I can't come up with anything to solve an equation involving it's own answer:

Fd(t)= a * (( b-Fd(t) )/c * t)^2

Regards,
Maik

You never solved a quadratic equation in your life? I find that hard to believe if you are doing project about solidfuel rockets.

You have to expand the square, treat everything except Fd as constants, treat even t as constant, treat Fd as the unknown variable x, and use the formulas for the roots here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadratic_equation

The article has examples, those will be most helpful to you if you haven't solved a quadratic equation before.

I'm sorry we must have misunderstood. If the link you posted is what you mean by quadratic equation then the formula above is no quadratic equation =)

Please note that Fd(t) is to be filled into the function, not Fd as constant or t as constant.

Fd(t)= a * (( b-Fd(t) )/c * t)^2

Fd(t) means Drag at a given time

So within the function Fd(t) is another function. In this case also Fd(t).

This is shurely no quadratic equation to be solved like as in your link.

For example, if you were to write out the Fd(t) within the function above, you'd get:

Fd(t)= a * (( b-(a * (( b-Fd(t) )/c * t)^2 ))/c * t)^2

which obviously also has the funtion of Fd(t) in it. So we could write that out as:

Fd(t)= a * (( b-(a * (( b-(a * (( b-Fd(t) )/c * t)^2) )/c * t)^2 ))/c * t)^2

its a never ending loop.

I hope this explains better as to why this is a differential equation rather than just a quadratic equasion.

Kind regards,
Maik

Related to Solving Air Drag Equation for Beginners

1. What is air drag and why is it important to consider in scientific calculations?

Air drag, also known as air resistance, is the force that opposes the motion of an object through air. It is caused by the interaction between the object and the molecules in the air. It is important to consider in scientific calculations because it can significantly affect the speed and trajectory of an object, especially at high speeds.

2. How do you calculate air drag?

The air drag equation takes into account the density of air, the velocity of the object, the area of the object, and the drag coefficient. It can be written as FD = 0.5 * ρ * v2 * A * CD, where FD is the drag force, ρ is the air density, v is the velocity, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and CD is the drag coefficient.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of air drag?

The magnitude of air drag is affected by several factors, including the density of air, the velocity of the object, the size and shape of the object, and the drag coefficient. Additionally, factors such as air temperature, humidity, and altitude can also affect the magnitude of air drag.

4. How can air drag be reduced?

Air drag can be reduced by changing the shape or size of the object, reducing its speed, or by using aerodynamic designs. For example, a streamlined shape can reduce air drag by minimizing the surface area of the object that comes into contact with air molecules. Additionally, using materials with low drag coefficients can also help reduce air drag.

5. How does air drag affect real-life situations?

Air drag has a significant impact on many real-life situations, such as when designing vehicles like cars, planes, and rockets. It affects the fuel efficiency and speed of these vehicles, and engineers must consider air drag when designing them. Air drag also plays a role in sports, such as cycling and skiing, where athletes must consider the effects of air resistance on their performance. In everyday life, air drag can also affect the trajectory of objects, such as when throwing a ball or shooting a projectile.