Solving Acceleration and Velocity Problems in the xy Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a particle with constant acceleration in the xy plane. The initial position and velocity of the particle are given, and the acceleration is provided as a vector. The individual is seeking help with finding the velocity and position vectors at specific times, but later figures it out on their own. The conversation ends with congratulating the individual on taking action and asking for the answer to the problem.
dragonladies1
I'm having trouble approaching this problem. I'm not sure how to set it up. Any help would be appreciated especially with necessary formulas and equations. Thank you.

A particle moves in the xy plane with constant acceleration. At time zero, the particle is at x = 7.0 m, y = 9.0 m, and has velocity v = 5.0 m/s + -10.0 m/s . The acceleration is given by the vector a = 7.0 m/s2 + 0 m/s2 .

I need to find the velocity vector at time= 6 seconds and position vector at 4 seconds. Thanks again.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks anyway, I figured it out.

You're welcome.

Congrats on taking action and re-approaching the problem.

What was the answer?

Related to Solving Acceleration and Velocity Problems in the xy Plane

What is the best way to approach a physics problem?

The best way to approach a physics problem is to start by understanding the given information and identifying what is being asked. Then, draw a picture or diagram to visualize the problem. Next, use relevant equations and principles to solve the problem. Finally, check your answer for accuracy and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

Why do many students struggle with physics problems?

Many students struggle with physics problems because the subject requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to apply them in real-world scenarios. Additionally, physics problems can be complex and require critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in physics, practice regularly by attempting different types of problems. Work on understanding the underlying principles and concepts instead of just memorizing equations. Seek help from teachers or peers when needed and don't be afraid to make mistakes and learn from them.

How important is it to show all steps when solving a physics problem?

Showing all steps when solving a physics problem is crucial as it helps you and others understand your thought process and identify any errors. It also helps with partial credit if the final answer is incorrect. Additionally, it allows you to go back and review your work for better understanding.

What are common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems?

Common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems include incorrect unit conversions, using the wrong equation or formula, and neglecting to consider all forces or factors involved in the problem. It is also important to double-check calculations and not to rush through the problem without fully understanding it.