Solving a Trigonometric Equation

In summary: I don't know if that is the right place or not.In summary, the person is rusty on how to solve a trig problem involving cosx and is looking for help from someone who is more experienced.
alane1994
I have this as part of a calculus problem. I guess I am a little rusty on this. Any help would be appreciated.

[tex]4\cos^2{x}=\frac{\sec^2{x}}{4}[/tex]

I believe that I need to solve for cosx. And then determine what cosx is in radians. That should be the lower limit of the integration. I know how it should work... it is just the process...

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
re: Solving a Trignometric Equation

Since you brought up the rust, perhaps we can start with that.

Do you know that cos(x) = 1/sec(x)?

I know most of the basic ones...

Also, I suppose I should give some background on what I am doing. I am finding the area between curves. The trig functions on either side of the = are the two curves.

Well, the full list would be:

$$\begin{cases}
\sec x = \frac{1}{\cos x}, \\
\csc x = \frac{1}{\sin x}, \\
\cot x = \frac{1}{\tan x} = \frac{\cos x}{\sin x}.
\end{cases}$$

Therefore, $4 \cos^2 x = \frac{\sec^2 x}{4} = \frac{1}{4} \frac{1}{\cos^2 x}$, leading to $16 \cos^4 x = 1$.

Try to go from here. :D

would it be
[tex]x= \frac{\pi}{3},\frac{2\pi}{3}[/tex]

alane1994 said:
would it be
[tex]x= \frac{\pi}{3},\frac{2\pi}{3}[/tex]

Those are both solutions yes, but there are infinitely more depending on the domain in question. If the domain is $[0,\pi]$ then those are the only two solutions.

I got the answer wrong...

alane1994 said:
I got the answer wrong...

Well Mathematica agrees with that answer on that domain. You mentioned that this wasn't the whole problem so without further info I don't know what to tell you.

Also, keep in mind that we can't help you with homework that is graded unless your professor is ok with you receiving any guidance so be careful with this.

It is indeed graded, but he encourages guidance. Just as long as people are helping you get the answers, not giving them to you. We have an academic center with professors who's entire job consists of helping students with homework questions.

With Jameson's comment in mind, perhaps this could be solved by posing the question in full. (Nod)

OK.
I will have to do this in the Calculus section.

Related to Solving a Trigonometric Equation

1. How do I solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you first need to isolate the trigonometric function on one side of the equation. Then, use inverse trigonometric functions or trigonometric identities to simplify the equation until you can solve for the variable.

2. What is the purpose of solving a trigonometric equation?

Solving a trigonometric equation helps us find the values of the variables that satisfy the equation. This is useful in solving real-world problems involving angles and distances, as well as in understanding the behavior of trigonometric functions.

3. What are the common strategies for solving trigonometric equations?

Some common strategies for solving trigonometric equations include using trigonometric identities, factoring, substitution, and completing the square. It is also important to pay attention to any restrictions on the domain of the equation.

4. How can I check if my solution to a trigonometric equation is correct?

You can check your solution by substituting it back into the original equation and simplifying both sides. If the resulting values are equal, then your solution is correct.

5. What are some tips for solving trigonometric equations?

Some tips for solving trigonometric equations include reviewing the basic trigonometric identities, using a graphing calculator to visualize the equation, and practicing with different types of equations. It is also important to remember to check for extraneous solutions and to always show your work.