Solving a Trigonometric Equation for Cos (x)

In summary, the original problem is 2cos(x)+5sec(x)=1.1 and after multiplying by cos(x), it becomes 2cos^2(x)+5=1.1cos(x) or 2cos^2(x)-1.1cos(x)+5=0. This can be rewritten as a quadratic equation with u=cos(x) and solving for u, which can then be substituted back in to find the values of cos(x).
melissax
Hi, may you help me?
I have a question I solved but couldn't ended.

If cos(x)+5Sec(x)=1.1 then Cos(x)=?

2Cos(x)+5Sec(x) =11/10

2Cos(x)+5/Cos(x)=11/10

2Cos(x)*Cos(x)+5=11/10*Cos(x)

2Cos^2(x)+5=11/10*Cos(x)

2Cos^2(x)-11/10-Cos(x)-5=0 then i used delta=b^2-4ac

then i found delta=-4.79

X1=-b+sqrt(delta)/2a
then i found x1=2.19 and x2=-b-sqrt(delta)/2a but as i learnd answer is 0.5 where is the my mistake? Thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
melissax said:
Hi, may you help me?
I have a question I solved but couldn't ended.

If cos(x)+5Sec(x)=1.1 then Cos(x)=?

In-between these two lines, you have copied incorrectly. Where is the 2 coming from? Is that in the original problem or not?

2Cos(x)+5Sec(x) =11/10

2Cos(x)+5/Cos(x)=11/10

2Cos(x)*Cos(x)+5=11/10*Cos(x)

2Cos^2(x)+5=11/10*Cos(x)

2Cos^2(x)-11/10-Cos(x)-5=0 then i used delta=b^2-4ac

You have made another error here: $(11/10)\cos(x)$ became $(11/10)-\cos(x)$.

You need to be more careful when you go from one line to the next. Pretend someone's holding a gun to your head and will fire if you make a mistake!

then i found delta=-4.79

X1=-b+sqrt(delta)/2a
then i found x1=2.19 and x2=-b-sqrt(delta)/2a but as i learnd answer is 0.5 where is the my mistake? Thank you

For the original problem, I get complex values for $\cos(x)$. Can you please post the original problem verbatim?

question is "2cos(x)+ 5sec(x)=1.1" problem isn't wrong.

Correct but can you help to solution?

In your original post you wrote the problem as "cos(x)+5Sec(x)=1.1" then you switched the "cos(x)" to "2cos(x)" on the next line. We can't tell if this is a math mistake which we need to explain or just a typo. I'm going to guess it's a typo.

\(\displaystyle 2\cos(x)+5\sec(x)=1.1\)

Multiply everything by $\cos(x)$ and you get

\(\displaystyle 2\cos^2(x)+5=1.1\cos(x)\) or \(\displaystyle 2\cos^2(x)-1.1\cos(x)+5=0\)

This has a quadratic form to it. Let $u=\cos(x)$ and rewrite the above equation as

\(\displaystyle 2u^2-1.1u+5=0\)

Can you make progress from here?

Hello! It looks like you have made a small mistake in your calculations. When you used the quadratic formula to solve for x, you should have used 2a instead of a in the denominator. This would give you x1=1.28 and x2=-3.91. However, neither of these values satisfy the original equation of cos(x)+5sec(x)=1.1. This means that there is no real solution to this equation. In this case, the answer would be "no solution". I hope this helps!

Related to Solving a Trigonometric Equation for Cos (x)

1. What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, and one or more variables. In order to solve a trigonometric equation, you must find the values of the variables that make the equation true.

2. How do you solve a trigonometric equation for cos (x)?

To solve a trigonometric equation for cos (x), you must use algebraic manipulation to isolate the cos (x) term on one side of the equation. You can then use inverse trigonometric functions, such as arccosine, to solve for the value of x.

3. What are the key steps in solving a trigonometric equation for cos (x)?

The key steps in solving a trigonometric equation for cos (x) are:
1. Isolate the cos (x) term on one side of the equation.
2. Use inverse trigonometric functions to solve for the value of x.
3. Check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving a trigonometric equation for cos (x)?

Some common mistakes when solving a trigonometric equation for cos (x) include:
- Forgetting to use the inverse trigonometric function to solve for x.
- Making a mistake in the algebraic manipulation of the equation.
- Forgetting to check the solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

5. Are there any special cases when solving a trigonometric equation for cos (x)?

Yes, there are a few special cases when solving a trigonometric equation for cos (x):
- If the equation contains multiple cosine terms, you may need to use trigonometric identities to simplify the equation.
- If the equation involves inverse trigonometric functions, you may need to restrict the domain of the solution.
- If the equation has no solution, you may need to check if the equation is an identity or if the original equation was set up correctly.