Solving a Tilting Stick Equation of Motion: Need Help!

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to obtain the equation of motion for a tilting stick with a mass M and length L, as well as an additional mass m placed at a distance l from the center of rotation. The idea of using moments of inertia is mentioned, and the person requests help with this problem. The respondent reminds them to use the homework template and show their work.
mathewmical
Hallo,

I Wonder how i can get the equation of motion for a tilting Stick of mass M and lengh L with an additional mass m placed in it in distance of l from the Center of rotation.

I thought about the moments of inertia

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
@mathewmical -- Here is a copy of the Homework Help Template that you can copy and fill out:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

But it's no homework :(

Related to Solving a Tilting Stick Equation of Motion: Need Help!

1. How do I determine the equation of motion for a tilting stick?

The equation of motion for a tilting stick can be derived using the principles of mechanics, specifically the equations of motion for rotational motion. It involves considering the forces acting on the stick, such as gravity, normal force, and friction, and using the laws of motion to write the equations.

2. What is the main goal of solving a tilting stick equation of motion?

The main goal of solving a tilting stick equation of motion is to predict the motion of the stick as it tilts and falls due to external forces. This can be useful in understanding the behavior of physical systems and designing structures or machines that can withstand tilting or falling.

3. What are the key factors that affect the motion of a tilting stick?

The key factors that affect the motion of a tilting stick include the length and mass of the stick, the angle of tilt, the external forces acting on the stick, and the surface on which the stick is tilting. Other factors such as air resistance or the shape of the stick may also have an impact.

4. Are there any assumptions made in solving a tilting stick equation of motion?

Yes, there are some assumptions that are typically made when solving a tilting stick equation of motion. These include assuming the stick is a rigid body, neglecting air resistance, and assuming the surface on which the stick is tilting is frictionless. These assumptions may not always hold true in real-world situations, but they allow for simpler calculations and a better understanding of the basic principles involved.

5. How can I check if my solution to a tilting stick equation of motion is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, you can perform a dimensional analysis to ensure the units of your final answer match the units of the initial conditions. You can also use a simulation or perform experiments to compare the predicted motion to the actual motion of a tilting stick. It may also be helpful to double-check your calculations and make sure all the necessary forces and factors have been taken into account.