Solving a system of linear equations with one unknown value

In summary, swapping the first and third equations, and changing the signs on both sides of the other two equations will get you the system $$2x_1 + 5x_2 + x_3 = 12$$ $$2x_1 + x_2 + 5x_3 = 1$$ $$ax_1 + 2x_2 + 4x_3 = 4,$$ with matrix $$\begin{bmatrix} 2&5&1&12 \\2&1&5&1 \\ a&2&4&4\end{bmatrix}.$$
sparrow1
Hi guys, I'd be grateful for any help with this type of question. It's been driving me crazy. I have an online assignment for my linear algebra course and the question is always like this:

"Determine the values of a for which the following system of linear equations has no solutions, a unique solution, or infinitely many solutions. You can select 'always', 'never', 'a = ', or 'a ≠', then specify a value or comma-separated list of values.

ax1+2x2+4x3 = 4
−2x1−x2−5x3 = −1
−2x1−5x2−x3 = −12"

I know the answer to this one as i got it wrong and the website told me what it was, but not how to get it. What I've been doing is putting it into a matrix (obviously) and then trying to get it into reduced row echelon form, and then trying to get the bottom row into either "0 0 0 I #" form (for infinite solutions), "0 0 0 I 0" (for no solution) and "0 0 1 I #" (for unique solution) where I just represents a line. But that isn't working so I'm clearly doing something wrong.

I can't use a calculator for this class or anything so please only solutions that can be done by hand :) Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
sparrow said:
"Determine the values of a for which the following system of linear equations has no solutions, a unique solution, or infinitely many solutions. You can select 'always', 'never', 'a = ', or 'a ≠', then specify a value or comma-separated list of values.

ax1+2x2+4x3 = 4
−2x1−x2−5x3 = −1
−2x1−5x2−x3 = −12"

I know the answer to this one as i got it wrong and the website told me what it was, but not how to get it.
What immediately strikes you about these equations is (1) that coefficient $a$ comes in a very tiresome place for getting the system in echelon form, and (2) the other two equations have minus signs everywhere.

You can make life easier for yourself by (1) swapping the first and third equations, so that the $a$ goes down to the bottom row of the matrix, (2) changing the signs on both sides of the other two equations. You will then have the system $$2x_1 + 5x_2 + x_3 = 12$$ $$2x_1 + x_2 + 5x_3 = 1$$ $$ax_1 + 2x_2 + 4x_3 = 4,$$ with matrix $$\begin{bmatrix} 2&5&1&12 \\2&1&5&1 \\ a&2&4&4\end{bmatrix}.$$

Now reduce it to echelon form in the usual way, starting by subtracting row 1 from row 2 and subtracting $a/2$ times row 1 from row 3.

sparrow said:
What I've been doing is putting it into a matrix (obviously) and then trying to get it into reduced row echelon form, and then trying to get the bottom row into either "0 0 0 I #" form (for infinite solutions), "0 0 0 I 0" (for no solution) and "0 0 1 I #" (for unique solution) where I just represents a line. But that isn't working so I'm clearly doing something wrong.
You have the first two of those the wrong way round: $0\ 0\ 0\ |\ \#$ means no solutions (if $\#$ is a nonzero number), and $0\ 0\ 0\ |\ 0$ means infinitely many solutions.

Related to Solving a system of linear equations with one unknown value

1. What is a system of linear equations with one unknown value?

A system of linear equations with one unknown value is a set of two or more equations that involve the same unknown variable. The goal is to find the value of that unknown variable that satisfies all of the equations in the system.

2. How do you solve a system of linear equations with one unknown value?

To solve a system of linear equations with one unknown value, you can use various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations and solving for the unknown variable.

3. What is the importance of solving a system of linear equations with one unknown value?

Solving a system of linear equations with one unknown value is important in many fields, including science, engineering, and economics. It allows us to find the relationship between different variables and make predictions or decisions based on the given information.

4. Can a system of linear equations with one unknown value have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of linear equations with one unknown value can have more than one solution. This means that there are multiple values of the unknown variable that satisfy all of the equations in the system. In some cases, there may even be an infinite number of solutions.

5. How can I check if my solution to a system of linear equations with one unknown value is correct?

To check if a solution to a system of linear equations with one unknown value is correct, you can substitute the value into each equation and see if it satisfies all of them. If the solution is correct, it should make all of the equations true.