Solving a Simple Log Problem: 4^x + 4^-x = 5/2

• Thread starter courtrigrad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log
In summary, the conversation is about solving the equation 4^x + 4^-x = 5/2 using the Product Rule and assigning a new variable y = 4^x. The correct solution is y^2 + 1 = 5/2y. The initial approach of using x = 4^x is incorrect.
courtrigrad
Hello,

I need help with this problem:

4^x + 4^-x = 5/2

My Solution: (Assume we use log with base 4)

log ( 4^x + 4^-x) = log(5/2)

= log (4^0) = log (5/2) ?

I don't see what I am doing wrong. I used the Product Rule. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How about this

[tex] (4^x)(4^x) + (4^-^x)(4 ^x) = \frac{5}{2}(4^x) [/tex]

Maybe i should arrange

[tex] (4^x)^2 + 1 = \frac{5}{2}(4^x) [/tex]

[tex] x= 4^x [/tex]

[tex] x^2 + 1 = \frac{5}{2}x [/tex]

Last edited:
[tex]
\begin{multline*}
\begin{split}
&log(AB)=log\ A+log\ B\\
&There\ isn't\ anything\ like\ this:\\
&log(A+B)=log(AB)\\
&4^x+4^{-x}=4^x+\frac{1}{4^x}=\frac{4^{2x}+1}{4^x}\\
&4^x*4^{-x}=4^{x-x}=1\\
\end{split}
\end{multline*}
[/tex]

Cyclovenom said:
How about this

[tex] (4^x)(4^x) + (4^-^x)(4 ^x) = \frac{5}{2}(4^x) [/tex]

Maybe i should arrange

[tex] (4^x)^2 + 1 = \frac{5}{2}(4^x) [/tex]

[tex] x= 4^x [/tex]

[tex] x^2 + 1 = \frac{5}{2}x [/tex]

[tex] x= 4^x [/tex] should not be used. I see where you are going here. But this is wrong. Instead we should assign it to a different variable like [tex] y= 4^x [/tex]. So,

[tex] y^2 + 1 = \frac{5}{2}y [/tex]

It's true, i was just reminding him of Ax^2 + Bx + C, but thanks for pointing it out.

Related to Solving a Simple Log Problem: 4^x + 4^-x = 5/2

1. What is a logarithm and how is it used in this problem?

A logarithm is the inverse operation of exponentiation. In this problem, we are solving for the value of x in the equation 4^x + 4^-x = 5/2. To solve this, we will use logarithms to isolate the variable x.

2. How do we solve for x in this equation?

To solve for x, we will first use the property of logarithms that states log(a^b) = b*log(a). This means we can rewrite the equation as x*log(4) + (-x)*log(4) = log(5/2). Then, we can use the property of logarithms that states log(a) + log(b) = log(a*b) to combine the terms on the left side of the equation. This will give us x*(log(4) + (-log(4))) = log(5/2). Finally, we can use the property of logarithms that states log(a^-b) = -b*log(a) to simplify the equation to x*(log(4) - log(4)) = log(5/2). Since log(4) - log(4) = 0, we are left with x*0 = log(5/2). This means that x = log(5/2).

3. Can this problem be solved without using logarithms?

Yes, this problem can also be solved using algebraic manipulation. We can start by multiplying both sides of the equation by 4^x to get 4^x * 4^x + 4^x * 4^-x = 5/2 * 4^x. Then, we can use the property of exponents that states a^x * a^y = a^(x+y) to simplify the left side of the equation to 4^(2x) + 1 = 5/2 * 4^x. From here, we can use algebraic techniques to solve for x.

4. Are there any restrictions on the value of x in this problem?

Yes, there are restrictions on the value of x. Since 4^-x is equivalent to 1/4^x, we cannot have a negative value for x because it would result in a negative number on the left side of the equation. Additionally, since we are dealing with logarithms, the value of 4^x must be positive, so x cannot be 0.

5. How can we check our solution to ensure it is correct?

We can check our solution by plugging in the value of x that we solved for into the original equation. If the equation holds true, then our solution is correct. In this case, when we plug in log(5/2) for x, we get 4^log(5/2) + 4^-log(5/2) = 5/2, which is true since 4^log(5/2) is equivalent to 5/2 and 4^-log(5/2) is equivalent to 2/5. Therefore, our solution of x = log(5/2) is correct.