Solving a Short Heat Question with q = Q/A - Area Calculation Help

• Thread starter Studious_stud
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat Short
In summary, The problem involves calculating the total power output in watts for a cylinder with given radius and length. The surface area of the cylinder is needed, which can be calculated using the formula 2pi rh. The power output per volume is also given, and the volume of the cylinder can be easily calculated. Once these values are obtained, the total power output can be calculated using the formula q = Q/A, where q is the heat flux, Q is the rate of heat transfer, and A is the surface area of the cylinder.
Studious_stud

Homework Statement

2jb026e.jpg

Homework Equations

q = Q/A where q = heat flux, Q = rate of heat transfer, A = area

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I guess my main problem is figuring out the area. I know the answer to the question, but I can't seem to calculate it right.

Thanks everyone

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the total power output (in W), letting r be the radius and L be the length of the cylinder? What is the surface area of a cylinder, ignoring the ends (which are negligible for a long cylinder)?

Mapes said:
What is the total power output (in W), letting r be the radius and L be the length of the cylinder? What is the surface area of a cylinder, ignoring the ends (which are negligible for a long cylinder)?

I don't know, those are the only variables given in the question.

Studious_stud said:
I don't know, those are the only variables given in the question.

Yes, I'm asking you to calculate both quantities as part of solving the problem.

Mapes said:
Yes, I'm asking you to calculate both quantities as part of solving the problem.

Well, I know the surface area is 2pi rh. However, I don't think I've ever seen a formula relating power to radius or length..

You're given the power output per volume, yes? And the volume of the cylinder is easily calculated.

Mapes said:
You're given the power output per volume, yes? And the volume of the cylinder is easily calculated.

Ahh, I got it now. Thanks!

Related to Solving a Short Heat Question with q = Q/A - Area Calculation Help

1. How do you calculate the heat transfer rate (q) in a short heat question?

The heat transfer rate (q) can be calculated using the formula q = Q/A, where Q is the total heat transferred and A is the surface area over which the heat is transferred.

2. What is the significance of the heat transfer rate in solving short heat questions?

The heat transfer rate (q) is a crucial factor in determining the amount of heat transferred in a given system. It helps in understanding the rate at which heat is being transferred and can be used to predict the final temperature of the system.

3. How do you determine the surface area (A) in a short heat question?

The surface area (A) in a short heat question can be determined by calculating the area of the surface over which the heat is being transferred. This can be done by measuring the length, width, and height of the surface and using the appropriate formula to calculate the area.

4. What are the units of heat transfer rate (q) in a short heat question?

The units of heat transfer rate (q) are typically watts (W) or joules per second (J/s). However, depending on the specific question, it can also be expressed in other units such as calories per second or BTUs per hour.

5. How does the area calculation help in solving a short heat question?

The area calculation is an essential step in solving a short heat question as it helps in determining the surface area over which the heat is being transferred. This, in turn, allows for the calculation of the heat transfer rate and the final temperature of the system.