Solving a Separable Equation: What Went Wrong?

• MHB
  • Thread starter find_the_fun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Separable
C=e^{-x^2}k=ke^{-x^2}In summary, the conversation discusses solving the differential equation \frac{dy}{dx}+2xy=0 by separating the variables and integrating both sides. However, there seems to be a mistake in the solution as the derivative does not match the original equation. After some discussion, it is discovered that the mistake was in the integration step where the integral of -2x was incorrectly calculated as -2x instead of -x^2. The correct solution is y=
find_the_fun
\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}+2xy=0\)
\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=-2xy\)
\(\displaystyle dy=-2xy dx\)
\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{y} dy=-2x dx\)
integrate both sides
\(\displaystyle \ln{|y|}=-2x+c\)
\(\displaystyle y=e^{-2x+c}=e^{-2x}e^C=e^{-2x}k=ke^{-2x}\)
Let's check using the original equation. First calculate the derivative
\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=k(-2e^{-2x}=-2ke^{-2x}\)
so from the original equation\(\displaystyle -2ke^{-2x}+2xke^{-2x}=0\) is false.

It looks like I'm missing an x somewhere but I'm not sure where it went. What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Checked answer for seperable equation but not getting right result; missing one x

find_the_fun said:
\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}+2xy=0\)
\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=-2xy\)
\(\displaystyle dy=-2xy dx\)
\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{y} dy=-2x dx\)
integrate both sides
\(\displaystyle \ln{|y|}=-2x+c\)

The integral of -2x is NOT -2x...

Related to Solving a Separable Equation: What Went Wrong?

1. Why is my solution to the separable equation incorrect?

There could be several reasons why your solution is incorrect. It could be due to a mistake in your algebraic manipulation, an error in the initial conditions, or an incorrect integration technique. It is important to carefully check each step of your solution to identify where the error may have occurred.

2. How can I check if my solution is correct?

To check if your solution to a separable equation is correct, you can substitute your solution back into the original differential equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a graphing calculator or software to plot your solution and compare it to the given data or initial conditions.

3. What should I do if I encounter a separable equation that cannot be solved?

If you encounter a separable equation that cannot be solved, you may need to use an alternative method such as substitution or linearization. It is also possible that the equation is not separable and requires a different technique to solve it.

4. Can I always use the separation of variables method to solve a differential equation?

No, the separation of variables method can only be used for certain types of differential equations, namely those that can be written in the form dy/dx = f(x)g(y). It is important to identify the type of differential equation before choosing a solution method.

5. Is there an easier way to solve a separable equation?

Aside from using a calculator or software to do the integration, there is no shortcut or easier way to solve a separable equation. It is important to carefully follow the steps of the separation of variables method and check for any potential errors in your solution.