Solving a Rotational Motion Problem: Determining Angular Velocity & Speed

In summary, the angular velocity of the rod as a function of the angle it makes with the tabletop is given by ω = (+/-)√{ A - B sinφ }. The speed of the tip of the rod just before it strikes the table is v = ωl.
e(ho0n3
Hello,

I need to confirm my solution to this problem: A thin rod of length [itex]l[/itex] stands vertically on a table. The rod begins to fall, but its lower end does not slide. (a) Determine the angular velocity of the rod as a function of the angle [itex]\phi[/itex] it makes with the tabletop. (b) What is the speed of the tip of the rod just before it strikes the table.

For (a), I found the moment of inertia [itex]I[/itex] for the rod as well as the torque. Then, I equated the expression I found for the torque with [itex]\tau = I\alpha[/itex] and solved for [itex]\alpha[/itex]. Knowing [itex]\alpha[/itex], I then calculated the angular velocity [itex]\omega[/itex] from it with some calculus.

For (b), the answer would be
[tex]v = R\omega(0)[/tex]​
using the [itex]\omega[/itex] I found in (a).

I was going to do the problem by simplifying the rod using center of mass concepts, but it seems I can't do this with rotational motion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you use the Lagrangian formalism? I'll work through the problem using it and post what I get.

Huh. The Lagrangian formalism leads to a nonlinear diff. eq..

OK, I adjusted the formalism a little bit, and I got the general expression for part a to be of the form:

ω = (+/-)√{ A - B sinφ }.

Did you get something of this form for part a? I think you probably would using the technique you mentioned.

For part b, you should just be able to plug in φ = 0 (or π) as you have done. I'm assuming that, by [itex]R[/itex], you mean [itex]l[/itex].

Last edited:
conservation of energy

e(ho0n3 said:
For (a), I found the moment of inertia [itex]I[/itex] for the rod as well as the torque. Then, I equated the expression I found for the torque with [itex]\tau = I\alpha[/itex] and solved for [itex]\alpha[/itex]. Knowing [itex]\alpha[/itex], I then calculated the angular velocity [itex]\omega[/itex] from it with some calculus.
No need for calculus or advanced methods. For (a) use conservation of energy. The rod can be viewed as being in pure rotation, so its KE is just the rotational KE about the pivot point. This will give an answer for ω as a function of φ.

As you noted, for (b) just plug in φ = 0 to find ω. The speed of the tip is v = ωl.

Doc Al said:
No need for calculus or advanced methods. For (a) use conservation of energy. The rod can be viewed as being in pure rotation, so its KE is just the rotational KE about the pivot point. This will give an answer for ω as a function of φ.
This problem came from a section before rotational kinetic energy is introduced so... . Anyways, let me check my solution using this method.

Let [itex]m[/itex] be the mass of the rod. Using conservation of energy yields
[tex]mgl/2 = mgl\sin \phi /2 + I{\omega}^2/2[/tex]​
where [itex]I = ml^2/3[/itex]. Solving for [itex]\omega[/itex] gives
[tex]\omega = \sqrt{\frac{3g(1 - \sin \phi)}{l}}[/tex]​
Thank goodness for energy methods.

turin said:
I'm assuming that, by [itex]R[/itex], you mean [itex]l[/itex].
Right. My mistake.

e(ho0n3,
Yeah, that's how I did it. Sorry about my rambling. There is one subtle issue. If you tip the rod over, then you will probably give it some initial kinetic energy as well. The problem doesn't specify, so I would just assume a negligible initial kinetic energy.

turin said:
e(ho0n3,
Yeah, that's how I did it. Sorry about my rambling. There is one subtle issue. If you tip the rod over, then you will probably give it some initial kinetic energy as well. The problem doesn't specify, so I would just assume a negligible initial kinetic energy.
Right. It seemed funny to me that a rod would just decide to fall on its own, but for the purposes of this problem I guess I'll have to assume this.

Related to Solving a Rotational Motion Problem: Determining Angular Velocity & Speed

1. What is the difference between angular velocity and angular speed?

Angular velocity refers to the rate of change of angular displacement, while angular speed refers to the magnitude of the angular velocity. In other words, angular velocity takes into account both the direction and the magnitude of the rotation, while angular speed only considers the magnitude.

2. How do you calculate angular velocity?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It is often represented by the symbol "ω" (omega) and its unit is radians per second (rad/s).

3. What is the formula for angular speed?

The formula for angular speed is the same as that for linear speed, which is the distance traveled divided by the time taken. However, since angular speed is measured in radians per second, the distance traveled is represented by the change in angular displacement (Δθ).

4. How do you convert from angular velocity to linear velocity?

To convert from angular velocity to linear velocity, you can use the formula v = ωr, where v is the linear velocity, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path. This means that the linear velocity is directly proportional to the angular velocity and the radius of the circle.

5. What are some real-life applications of rotational motion problems?

Rotational motion problems are frequently encountered in engineering and physics fields, such as in designing machines and analyzing the motion of objects in space. They are also used in sports, such as in calculating the angular velocity and speed of a spinning ball in baseball or a rotating discus in track and field.