Solving a Puzzling Lift Problem: Net Upward Force on the Man

In summary, the problem involves a builder pulling a rope connected to a cradle and trying to determine the net upward force on the builder. The builder has a mass of 75kg and the cradle has a mass of 35kg. The builder pulls with a force of 650N, resulting in a net upward force of 650N on both the builder and the cradle. The equation used to determine the net upward force is the force exerted by the floor of the lift minus the weight of the builder minus the force exerted by the rope. However, there is some confusion about where the extra 650N of force comes from, as the weight of the builder is already accounted for in the equation. Further clarification is
happyjoe

Homework Statement

Hey everyone, this problem has been bugging me for days now, and no matter how many times I've attempted it, I feel like its going wrong.

http://img258.echo.cx/img258/4409/lift3ad.png

The buillder has a mass of 75kg and the cradle has a mass of 35kg. The builder pulls on the rope with a force of 650N.

The rope will exert a force of 650N upwards on the man and 650N upwards on the cradle.

Explain why the net upward force on the man is:

Force exerted by floor of lift - (weight of man - 650N)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Force exerted by floor of lift = 650N
Weight of man = 735N

Now what I don't get is where the other 650N comes from? If the force exerted by the floor of the lift is 650, and the weight of man is 735N, then surely his net upward force is minus 85 Newtons? The only way the equation makes sense is if the the force exerted by the floor of the lift is equal to the upward force, minus the weight? Which again gives me negative 85 Newtons?

If anyone could help me and tell me where I am going wrong i'd really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Is he trying to pull the whole thing up? As in, is the rope he is pulling connected to the box he's in?

2) Check what cancels out, meaning, what is equal and opposite? Him pulling on the rope, makes the rope pull on him, right? His weight on the floor, means the floor pushes back. So what's left?

Poop-Loops said:
1) Is he trying to pull the whole thing up? As in, is the rope he is pulling connected to the box he's in?

2) Check what cancels out, meaning, what is equal and opposite? Him pulling on the rope, makes the rope pull on him, right? His weight on the floor, means the floor pushes back. So what's left?

Thanks for replying! :D

Well he's accelerating (doesnt say how much), so he's definitely pulling the whole box up including himself.

I just took into account that if he's pulling the cradle up then the floor is lifting him 650N, and the fact he's pulling the rope means a further 650 must be lifting him. Then I took away his weight, which must be exerted back onto the floor and got a net force of 1300N - (his weight) 735 N = 565N, but again I think that's wrong.

Related to Solving a Puzzling Lift Problem: Net Upward Force on the Man

1. What does "net upward force" mean in relation to a person in a lift?

The net upward force refers to the total amount of force that is pushing the person upward in the lift. This includes the force of gravity pulling them down, as well as any additional forces from the lift or other objects.

2. How is the net upward force calculated in a lift?

The net upward force can be calculated by subtracting the downward forces (such as gravity and the weight of the person) from the upward forces (such as the force of the lift pushing up). The remaining force is the net upward force.

3. Why is it important to understand the net upward force in a lift?

Understanding the net upward force is important because it determines whether the person will experience a feeling of weightlessness or weightiness in the lift. It also helps to ensure that the lift is functioning properly and can assist in troubleshooting any problems that may arise.

4. How does the net upward force change as the lift accelerates?

As the lift accelerates, the net upward force will also change. If the lift is accelerating upwards, the net upward force will increase. If the lift is accelerating downwards, the net upward force will decrease. At a constant velocity, the net upward force will remain the same.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to the net upward force in a lift?

Yes, the net upward force in a lift is an important factor in ensuring the safety of the passengers. If the net upward force is too low, the lift may not be able to support the weight of the passengers, resulting in a potential accident. It is important to regularly check and maintain the net upward force to ensure the safety of everyone in the lift.