Solving a Projectile Fired from a Ship Problem

• Thread starter xelda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conceptual
In summary, the vertical component of the projectile's acceleration is constant due to gravity and the horizontal component of the acceleration is zero, meaning it does not change with time. The speed of the projectile decreases due to gravity and the vertical component of the velocity changes as the projectile moves in a parabola. The correct statements are A and E, with E being correct because the horizontal velocity does not change with time in a parabolic motion.
xelda
I'm really bad at these because there are multiple answers and I always leave one out.

A projectile is fired from a ship at a distant, floating target. Which of the following statements are true? (There can be more than one correct choice.)

a. The vertical component of the projectile's acceleration does not change with time.
b. The speed of the projectile does not change with time.
c. The vertical component of the projectile's velocity does not change with time.
d. The horizontal component of the projectile's acceleration does not change with time.
E. The horizontal component of the projectile's velocity does not change with time.

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
There is only one force acting on the projectile. Gravity gives the projectile a vertical acceleration downwards. What effect does this have on the speed and acceleration components of the projectile?

I know that B is incorrect because the speed is slowing down due to gravity. C is also incorrect because the velocity varies when the projectile moves in a parabola. D is incorrect because there is no horizontal component in the acceleration. A is correct because the vertical acceleration is constant due to gravity. So what I can't decide is if E is correct or not. I'm thinking no because the velocity will change once the projectile hits its target. Am I on the right track?

xelda said:
D is incorrect because there is no horizontal component in the acceleration.
Think about that one. If the horizontal acceleration is zero, does it change with time?

A is correct because the vertical acceleration is constant due to gravity. So what I can't decide is if E is correct or not. I'm thinking no because the velocity will change once the projectile hits its target. Am I on the right track?
E is related to D. If there is no horizontal acceleration. What does it mean for the horizontal velocity.

Oh, and I think you should only consider these question when the projectile is flying, not including the impact on the target. :wink:

Galileo said:
Think about that one. If the horizontal acceleration is zero, does it change with time?

Shoot! I didn't consider that. Thank you so much for your help!

Related to Solving a Projectile Fired from a Ship Problem

1. How do I calculate the trajectory of a projectile fired from a ship?

To calculate the trajectory of a projectile fired from a ship, you will need to use the equations of motion and take into account the initial velocity, angle of elevation, and the force of gravity. You can also use a projectile motion calculator or a physics simulation software to assist with the calculations.

2. How does the height of the ship affect the trajectory of the projectile?

The height of the ship will affect the trajectory of the projectile by changing the initial vertical component of the velocity. The higher the ship, the higher the initial vertical velocity, which will result in a higher maximum height and a longer flight time for the projectile.

3. What is the role of air resistance in solving a projectile fired from a ship problem?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can have a significant impact on the trajectory of a projectile fired from a ship. It will decrease the projectile's speed and change its flight path, making it more difficult to accurately predict the projectile's landing point. To account for air resistance, you can use the drag coefficient in the equations of motion.

4. How do I determine the final velocity and impact point of the projectile?

To determine the final velocity and impact point of the projectile, you can use the equations of motion and plug in the initial velocity, angle of elevation, and the distance traveled. You can also use a physics simulation software to visualize the projectile's trajectory and determine the final velocity and impact point.

5. Can the wind speed and direction affect the trajectory of the projectile?

Yes, the wind speed and direction can have a significant impact on the trajectory of the projectile. It will add an additional horizontal component of velocity, which can change the projectile's landing point. To account for the wind, you can add the wind's velocity vector to the projectile's initial velocity vector in the equations of motion.