Solving a Physics Word Problem: Bob & Jack's 1000km Race

In summary, Bob and Jack entered a 1000 km bike race. Bob cycled 4 km/h faster than Jack, but his bike got a flat tire that took 30 minutes to repair. To finish the race in a tie, their times in transit must be equal. Setting up a system of two equations, it is determined that Jack's speed was 87.5 km/h and Bob's speed was 91.5 km/h. Therefore, Jack was cycling at 87.5 km/h and Bob was cycling at 91.5 km/h.
aisha
Bob and Jack enter a 1000 km bike race. Bob cycles 4 km/h faster than Jack, but his bike gets a flat tire, which takes 30 minutes to repair. If the both of them finish the race in a tie, then how fast was each boy cycling?

Wooooh I have no clue as to how to solve this problem, can someone help me Please! :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
let x=Jack's speed then, Bob's speed=x+4. Write an equation for the time Jack takes to finish the race in terms of x. Then write an equation for the time Bob takes to finish the race in terms of x.

Since the two times are equal, you can set them equal and solve for x.

ahhh I am really confused I don't understand what the equations are the 30 min to repair is throwing me off. Jack is 4km less than bob +30 minutes? I am still VERY STUCK HELP :eek:

The previous post had the right idea. What you need to say is that if they completed the race at the same time then their time in transit is the same, in other words [tex]T_{Bob}=T_{Jack}[/tex] however their time in motion is not the same. a simple system of two equations will satisfy your problem. Both describe the motion of the the racers.

[tex]V_{Bob}T=1000 \rightarrow (V_{Jack}+4)(T-.5)=1000[/tex]
[tex]V_{Jack}T=1000 \rightarrow T=\frac{1000}{V_{Jack}[/tex]

at this point you can make a simple substitution of the bottom equation into the other to get

[tex](V_{Jack}+4)(\frac{1000}{V_{Jack}-.5)=1000[/tex]

this reduces to the quadratic

[tex]-.5V_{Jack}^2-2V_{Jack}+4000=0[/tex]

this should give you that

[tex]V_{Jack}=87.5[/tex]
[tex]V_{Bob}=91.5[/tex]
[tex]T=11.4[/tex]

If there is funny text in this post, i apologize. Residual text from previous posts are coming back to haunt me for some reason.

Last edited:
Remember that distance=speed * time ie: time=distance/speed
We have to be careful about units. Since speed is in km/h, I'll convert 30 minutes into hours (0.5 hours)

Think about Bob's time like this:
Bob's total time= Bob's cycling time + Bob's repair time = (1000/(x+4)) + 0.5

Jack's time is: 1000/x
Bob's time is: (1000/(x+4)) + 0.5

The two times are the same so:

[tex]\frac{1000}{x}=\frac{1000}{x+4} + 0.5[/tex]

Solve for x. Hope this helps. :smile:

learningphysics said:
Remember that distance=speed * time ie: time=distance/speed
We have to be careful about units. Since speed is in km/h, I'll convert 30 minutes into hours (0.5 hours)

Think about Bob's time like this:
Bob's total time= Bob's cycling time + Bob's repair time = (1000/(x+4)) + 0.5

Jack's time is: 1000/x
Bob's time is: (1000/(x+4)) + 0.5

The two times are the same so:

[tex]\frac{1000}{x}=\frac{1000}{x+4} + 0.5[/tex]

Solve for x. Hope this helps. :smile:

Yes That helped soooo much well my LCD was x(x+4) when I expanded and simplified I got a quadratic equation ->0.5x^(2)+2x-4000 I used the quadratic formula and got x=87.5, or x=-91.5 the negative solution is impossible because Jack's time cannot be negative? so if x=jack then (87.5+4) = bob's time of 91.5 km/h therefore Jack was cycling 87.5km/h and Bob was cycling 91.5km/h? Is this correct? :wink:

aisha said:
Yes That helped soooo much well my LCD was x(x+4) when I expanded and simplified I got a quadratic equation ->0.5x^(2)+2x-4000 I used the quadratic formula and got x=87.5, or x=-91.5 the negative solution is impossible because Jack's time cannot be negative? so if x=jack then (87.5+4) = bob's time of 91.5 km/h therefore Jack was cycling 87.5km/h and Bob was cycling 91.5km/h? Is this correct? :wink:

Yes. :smile: I got the same thing, and so did bobp718

learningphysics said:
Yes. :smile: I got the same thing, and so did bobp718

THANKS AGAIN U GUYS WOHOOO I FEEL GREAT AND U SHOULD TOO FOR HELPING SOMEONE THANKS :smile:

Related to Solving a Physics Word Problem: Bob & Jack's 1000km Race

1)

What are the key equations to use when solving this word problem?

The key equations to use would be distance = rate x time (d = rt) and average speed = total distance / total time.

2)

How do I determine the total time it takes for Bob and Jack to complete the 1000km race?

To determine the total time, you can set up a system of equations using the distance and average speed equations. You can also use the given information that Bob's average speed is 100 km/h and Jack's average speed is 80 km/h to solve for the total time.

3)

What is the difference between average speed and instantaneous speed?

Average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous speed is the speed at a specific moment in time. In this problem, we are using average speed to compare the overall performance of Bob and Jack.

4)

How can I check my answer to this word problem?

You can check your answer by plugging your values back into the original equations and seeing if they equal to the given information. You can also use estimation to make sure your answer is reasonable.

5)

What are some real-world applications of solving physics word problems?

Physics word problems, such as this one about a race, can help us understand and analyze everyday phenomena, such as motion, speed, and distance. These skills are important in fields like engineering, astronomy, and sports. Physics word problems can also improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills.