Solving a Physics Problem: Maximum Speed with a Crate of Eggs

In summary, the problem is determining the maximum speed a pickup truck can safely negotiate a curve with a crate of eggs in the back. The truck is turning, so the crate needs friction to prevent it from sliding out. The formula for centripetal force is used to calculate the maximum speed, with the coefficient of static friction being a factor. The result is a maximum speed of 54 km/h.
PhysicsDud
I'm having a real problem trying to work out this question:

A crate of eggs is located in the middle of the flatbed of a pickup truck. The truck is negotiating a curve in the road that may be considered as an arc of a circle of radius 35 m. if the coefficient of static friction between the flatbed and the crate is 0.66, with what maximum speed the truck can negotiate the curve if the crate is not to slide out during cornering?

I just can't wrap my head around it.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
PhysicsDud

Physics news on Phys.org
basically... the truck is going to be turning. when its turning, the crate of eggs needs friction to make it turn too(or else, it's going to slide because of it's previous momentum). When a thing is going in a circle, the centripetal force acting on it is mv^2/r
so when velocity increases, you need a greater force to pull it in.
so the question is, at what velocity does that centripetal force equal the maximum force that can be supplied by friction?

I worked it out and got the maximum speed to be 54 km/h.

Thanks for the help.

Related to Solving a Physics Problem: Maximum Speed with a Crate of Eggs

1. How do you calculate maximum speed with a crate of eggs?

The maximum speed with a crate of eggs can be calculated using the formula: v = √(2gh), where v is the maximum speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height from which the crate is dropped.

2. What factors affect the maximum speed of a crate of eggs?

The maximum speed of a crate of eggs is affected by the acceleration due to gravity, the height from which the crate is dropped, the mass of the crate and its contents, and air resistance.

3. Why is it important to calculate the maximum speed of a crate of eggs?

Calculating the maximum speed of a crate of eggs is important because it helps us understand the potential impact or damage the crate and its contents may experience when dropped from a certain height. This information can also be used to determine the appropriate packaging or handling methods to prevent breakage.

4. Can you use this formula for any shape or size of crate?

This formula assumes that the crate is a rigid body and that air resistance is negligible. Therefore, it can be used for any shape or size of crate as long as these assumptions hold true.

5. How can the maximum speed of a crate of eggs be increased?

The maximum speed of a crate of eggs can be increased by increasing the height from which it is dropped or by decreasing the mass of the crate and its contents. However, it is important to note that too much speed can result in breakage of the eggs, so it is important to find a balance between speed and safety.