Solving a Physics Problem: Inverted Image & Lens Separation

In summary, the problem is giving you the distances from the object to the lens and the image to the lens. The focal length can be found using the correct equation.
dlaszlo88
I have this Physics Problem which I am not to sure where to start it from. The problem is:

A real inverted image I of an object O is formed by a certain lens. The object-image speration is d = 0.40m, measured along the central axis of the lens. The image is just half the size of the object. There is a figure to this problem and its an object O larger than image I. I is a smaller and inverted, the lens has to go in between the object and image.

They ask you what kind of lens must be used to produce this image? I know that it should be a converging lens.
Then they ask How far from the object must the lens be placed and what is the focal length of the lens.

I think that the intial step is to look at the lateral magnification which is 1/2 But from there I am stuck. In order to find part C I know it will be easy just the second part is giving me a hard time. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this problem from the Halliday / Resnick / Walker book?

Yes that is my textbook

well, the problem gives you the distance from image to object.

the problem also gives you the magnification (sign and all!).

use the appropriate equation for magnification...

and now you can reduce the problem to a simple algebraic equation to find the distances from the object to the lens and the image to the lens.

(remember that "p" is the distance from the object to the lens and "q" is the distance from the image to the lens.)

and once you have those two distances, you can find the focal length, no problem, using the correct equation. :wink:

...you should be able to do this! :cool:

Related to Solving a Physics Problem: Inverted Image & Lens Separation

1. How do I determine the distance between the object and the lens in an inverted image problem?

To find the distance between the object and the lens, you can use the thin lens formula: 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length of the lens, do is the distance between the object and the lens, and di is the distance between the lens and the inverted image. Rearrange the formula to solve for do and substitute the given values to find the distance.

2. How do I know if the image formed by a lens is inverted or upright?

The orientation of the image formed by a lens depends on the position of the object in relation to the focal point of the lens. If the object is placed beyond the focal point, the image will be inverted. If the object is placed between the focal point and the lens, the image will be upright.

3. Can I use the same formula for finding the distance between the object and the lens in both convex and concave lenses?

Yes, the thin lens formula can be used for both convex and concave lenses. However, the focal length for a concave lens is negative, so make sure to use the correct sign when plugging in values.

4. What is the difference between the lens separation formula for a telescope and a microscope?

The lens separation formula for a telescope is d = f1 + f2, where f1 and f2 are the focal lengths of the two lenses used. This formula is used to find the distance between the two lenses needed to produce a clear image. The lens separation formula for a microscope is d = f1 + f2 - L, where L is the distance between the object and the first lens. This formula takes into account the distance between the object and the first lens, which is typically very small in a microscope.

5. What is the difference between a real image and a virtual image?

A real image is formed when the light rays actually converge at a point, creating a physical image that can be projected onto a screen. A virtual image is formed when the light rays only appear to be coming from a certain point, but do not actually converge at that point. A virtual image cannot be projected onto a screen, but can be seen by the observer looking through the lens.