Solving a Physics Problem: Finding Force Needed for 50g Toy Bus on Ramp

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a 50g toy bus on a ramp and finding the necessary force to keep it still. The angle of the ramp and the mass of the bus are important factors in calculating the force. The conversation also provides instructions on how to approach the problem and encourages a full understanding of the concept before moving on.
Louis Vuiton
I have a simple physics problem that I can't correctly solve. I have a 50g toy bus that is sitting still on a ramp. I need to find the Force needed to keep the bus still on the ramp. How do I do this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First off you know that as you increase the incline of the ramp, the force needed to hold the bus there also increases. So the angle [tex]\theta[/tex] of the ramp is important.

Using [tex]\theta[/tex], find the proportion of the force that's Normal (acting perpendicular to the ramp) and the proportion of the force that's parallel to the ramp. The bus's mass is important to calculate this. Start by finding the force Normal on a [tex]\theta=0[/tex] incline and go from there.

You'll need a force that's opposite the downward-incline force to keep the bus standing still.

1.) Draw it.
2.) Set the x-axis parallel to the inclined plane.
3.) The weight W is vertical
4.) The angle between W and the y-axis is theta (the same as the angle of the incline).
5.) F = -W sin theta.

I hope I haven't done too much of this for you. Make you sure have a full understanding of this problem before moving on to the next one. -Mike

Related to Solving a Physics Problem: Finding Force Needed for 50g Toy Bus on Ramp

1. How do I find the force needed for a 50g toy bus on a ramp?

To find the force needed, you will need to use the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass (in kg), and a is the acceleration (in m/s^2). First, convert the mass of the toy bus from grams to kilograms by dividing by 1000. Then, use the formula F=0.05a to find the force needed for the toy bus on the ramp.

2. What is the acceleration of the toy bus on the ramp?

The acceleration of the toy bus on the ramp can be found using the formula a=gsinθ, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and θ is the angle of the ramp. Make sure to convert the angle from degrees to radians before plugging it into the formula.

3. How do I calculate the angle of the ramp?

The angle of the ramp can be calculated using the inverse sine function, sin^-1, on a calculator. Simply divide the height of the ramp by the length of the ramp and take the inverse sine of that value to find the angle in radians. Remember to convert the angle to degrees if needed.

4. Can I use a different formula to find the force?

Yes, there are other formulas that can be used to find the force needed for the toy bus on the ramp. For example, you could use the formula F=mgcosθ, where m is the mass (in kg), g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of the ramp. The result should be the same as using the formula F=0.05a.

5. How can I check if my answer is correct?

You can check your answer by using the formula F=ma and plugging in the values you found for the force and acceleration. The result should be equal to the mass of the toy bus (in kg). If the result is not the same, double check your calculations or try using a different formula to find the force. You can also ask a teacher or peer to check your work.