Solving a Particle's Spiral Orbit under Central Force

In summary, the problem involves a particle moving in a spiral orbit under the influence of a central force, given by r=a*theta. The force is determined to be f(r) = (-L^2/mr^3)*[1 + (a^2)/(r^2)]. The person asking for help has attempted to solve the problem but is having trouble with a factor of 2 in the a^2 term. They have provided their attempt at a solution and are seeking pointers on how to fix it.
Varnson

Homework Statement

A particle moves under the action of a central force in a spiral orbit given by r=a*theta. Show that the force is f(r) = (-L^2/mr^3)*[1 + (a^2)/(r^2)]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do the problem, but I keep ending up with a factor of 2 for the a^2 term. Any pointers on how to fix this? Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you post exactly what you've done, people will have a better idea of what mistakes you may have made.

Sorry for that... I used the equation d^2u/dtheta^2 + u = (-1/ml^2u^2)*f(u^-1). For the second derivative of u with respect to theta i got 2*a*theta^-3, which i re-wrote as 2*a^2*u^3. I plugged that result into the diff. equation, but was unable to 'get rid of' the factor of 2 for the a^2 term. Any pointers?

Related to Solving a Particle's Spiral Orbit under Central Force

1. What is a particle's spiral orbit under central force?

A particle's spiral orbit under central force refers to the path that a particle takes as it moves around a central point, under the influence of a force that acts towards the center of the orbit. This type of orbit is characterized by a gradual decrease in the distance between the particle and the central point, resulting in a spiral-shaped path.

2. What factors affect the shape of a particle's spiral orbit under central force?

The shape of a particle's spiral orbit is primarily affected by the magnitude and direction of the central force, as well as the initial velocity and position of the particle. The mass of the particle and the mass of the central point can also play a role in determining the shape of the orbit.

3. How is the equation for a particle's spiral orbit under central force derived?

The equation for a particle's spiral orbit under central force is derived from Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By setting this equation equal to the force of gravity acting on the particle, we can derive the equation for the spiral orbit.

4. What is the significance of a particle's spiral orbit under central force?

The study of a particle's spiral orbit under central force has many practical applications, such as understanding the motion of planets around the sun, or the movement of satellites in orbit around a planet. It also helps us to better understand the laws of physics and how they govern the motion of objects in space.

5. Can a particle's spiral orbit under central force be stable?

Yes, a particle's spiral orbit under central force can be stable, depending on the initial conditions and the strength of the central force. In some cases, the particle may spiral towards the central point and eventually collide with it, while in other cases, the particle may continue to orbit at a constant distance from the central point.