Solving a Particle Displacement Problem: Find the Speed at x=2.5

In summary: Sorry, but I can't help you any further.I see. In the 2nd integration to find x of t>1s, you set the lower limits as x=0 and t=0, right? Have it checked. That's correct.
thereddevils

Homework Statement

A particle moves along the positivex-axis .At time t seconds after leaving a fixed point O from rest, the displacement of the particle from O is x cm. The acceleration, a of the particle is defined by

a=5-3t , 0<=t<=1

=-(4t+1), t>1

Find the speed of the particle when x=2.5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Integrate twice to get the displacement function,

x=5t^2/2-t^3/2 , 0<=t<=1

= -2/3t^3-2t^2 ,t>1

so 5t^2/2-t^3/2=2.5

solving this does not give me the answer. Where have i gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
ur mistake is u considered only one condition thus u integrated only for 0<=t<=1. How r u sure u that at the time the particle will be at x=2.5 will be less than or equal to 1s. In fact if u do some calculation u will find its not true. thus u have to apply the second condition for t.

Swap said:
ur mistake is u considered only one condition thus u integrated only for 0<=t<=1. How r u sure u that at the time the particle will be at x=2.5 will be less than or equal to 1s. In fact if u do some calculation u will find its not true. thus u have to apply the second condition for t.

But even when i considered the other one, i don get the answer too which is 1.5m

actually u have to apply both integrating part by part.

Swap said:
actually u have to apply both integrating part by part.

sorry but i don get what u mean

any other insights to this problem?

The way I see your work, in the 2nd integration to find x of t>1s, you set the lower limits as x=0 and t=0, right? Have it checked. That's wrong. Remember that you are considering t>1s; t=0 doesn't fit.

Related to Solving a Particle Displacement Problem: Find the Speed at x=2.5

1. How do you determine the speed at a specific point in a particle displacement problem?

In order to determine the speed at a specific point in a particle displacement problem, you must first calculate the particle's displacement at that point using the given information. Then, you can use the formula v = Δx/Δt (where v is speed, Δx is displacement, and Δt is time) to find the particle's speed at the given point.

2. What information is needed to solve a particle displacement problem?

To solve a particle displacement problem and find the speed at a specific point, you will need to know the initial position and velocity of the particle, as well as any relevant equations or formulas. You will also need to know the position of the particle at the given point, in this case x=2.5.

3. Can you solve a particle displacement problem without knowing the particle's initial velocity?

No, the particle's initial velocity is a crucial piece of information needed to solve a particle displacement problem. Without it, you will not be able to accurately calculate the particle's displacement at the given point, and therefore will not be able to find its speed.

4. How does the speed at x=2.5 differ from the average speed of the particle?

The speed at x=2.5 is the instantaneous speed of the particle at that specific point in time, while the average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken. The speed at x=2.5 may vary from the average speed, depending on the particle's velocity and any changes in direction or acceleration.

5. Are there any limitations to using the formula v = Δx/Δt to find the speed at x=2.5?

Yes, there are potential limitations when using the formula v = Δx/Δt to find the speed at x=2.5. This formula assumes that the particle is moving at a constant velocity between the initial point and the given point, which may not always be the case. It also does not take into account any external forces or factors that may affect the particle's speed. It is important to consider these limitations and use the formula carefully when solving particle displacement problems.