Solving a Parabola: Finding the Width at a Given Height

In summary, the arch is in the shape of a parabola with a vertical axis and is 15 ft high at the center and 40 ft wide at the base. To find the height at which the width is 20 ft, it is necessary to use the equation x^2=-4p(y-15) and substitute 20 for y. The x-intercepts can also be used to find the height.
rocomath
HINT! Parabola

An arch is in the shape of a parabola with a vertical axis. The arch is 15 ft high at the center and the 40 ft wide at the base. At which height above the base is the width 20 ft?

[tex]V(0,15)[/tex] so my equation becomes: [tex](x-0)^2=-4p(y-15)\rightarrow x^2=-4p(y-15)[/tex]

[tex]F(0,15-p)[/tex] & [tex]D:y=15+p[/tex]

I can substitute 20 into my equation, but I don't know how to find p.

Just a hint please :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh crap, I'm misreading the problem.

Base = 40 ft. So at the axis of symmetry, it's 20 ft to the left & right. So that means the x value we're at for a total of 20 ft is actually x = 10?

My point is P(10,y) ?

Oh rocomath!

Forget all this detail. :frown:

Hint: for a standard parabola through the origin, y is proportional to what? :smile:

OH! hehe, I had my x-intercepts but yet I wasn't using them. Thanks for your time tiny-tim ;)

Related to Solving a Parabola: Finding the Width at a Given Height

What is a parabola?

A parabola is a U-shaped curve that is formed by the graph of a quadratic function.

Why is it important to solve for the width of a parabola at a given height?

Knowing the width of a parabola at a specific height can help in determining the maximum or minimum point of the parabola. This information is useful in various real-world applications such as optimizing a business's production or finding the optimal path for a projectile.

What is the equation for a parabola?

The general equation for a parabola is y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the independent variable. The value of a determines whether the parabola opens upward or downward, while the values of b and c determine the position of the parabola on the coordinate plane.

How do you solve for the width of a parabola at a given height?

To find the width of a parabola at a given height, you can use the quadratic formula or complete the square method. First, set the parabola equation equal to the given height and solve for x. Then, substitute the value of x into the general equation for a parabola to find the corresponding width.

What are some real-world applications of finding the width of a parabola at a given height?

Determining the width of a parabola at a given height is useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. For example, a bridge engineer may need to find the maximum width of a parabolic arch to ensure the bridge can support a certain weight. In economics, the width of a parabola can represent the optimal level of production for a business to maximize profits.