A Pragmatic Philosophy of Paradox

In summary, Wu Li is a philosopher who is working on a philosophy of paradox. He is trying to meet academia on its own terms by using a posteriori synthetic arguments. He believes that progress is inevitable and that the scientific community is thrusting itself in this direction.

Originally posted by drag
Greetings pelastration !

Fascinating !

What do they represent ? Info processing ?
Some nerveous system pulse ? Are all four
types caused by and are responsible for the
same thing ?

Live long and prosper.
;-) Thanks.

Check: http://images.google.be/images?hl=nl&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=theta+brain&btnG=Google+zoeken (a lot of pictures from website)

Also http://www.globalvillage-it.com/planet/science.htm

Quote: "These discoveries were obtained thanks to a new computerised electroencephalographer called "Brain Olotester" conceived and developed by me and by Dr. Villiam Giroldini, specialized in computer engineering and communications.

This instrument gives a global map of brain functions. It introduces new standards of analysis with graphical color representation of brain waves, an accurate "Fourier transformation" of the EEG waves in 64 bands, of 0.5 Hz each, devided by colour in the four bands Beta, Alfa, Tetha and Delta. Most important, we introduces the Pearson linear correlation: a mathematical analysis of the wave coherence between specular points of the brain hemispheres, this coherence value (from zero to 100) we call "brain synchronicity". The research on brain synchronicity, done from 1990 to 1994, in Italy and in two Indian monasteres, has brought to four basic discoveries.

SYNCHRONIC BRAIN AND GLOBAL HEALTH

The first discovery regards the existence of different states of synchronization between brain hemispheres. The first discovery regards the existence of different states of synchronization between brain hemispheres. All ours researches have been done with only two helectrodes on the left and right frontal plus an electrode on the ear lobe for referring? All the subjects were sited??"

---
Believe also used in Electrofeedback therapies. Not sure, ... never experienced. Seems fun.

theta (4-8 Hz), alfa (8-12 Hz) and beta (12-20 Hz).

have fun. :smile:

additional:
http://www.planetstarz.com/ezine/apr01/dream.htm

"THETA

This is the brain wave level we associate with the Subconscious Mind. It is the baffle, the "fire wall" between the conscious and unconscious. It houses all the emotions, sensations and memories created by the interactions of the individual. Even though they cannot be "tagged" by the waking consciousness, they still react and function. What resides in memory at the Theta level will affect all areas of the individual's life from, morals, beliefs, emotional conditioning, and how the individual assesses each experience they are involved with at any given moment.
Theta is where we keep all the "secrets" of our inner agenda. It is where childhood memories both positive and negative are stored. It is where we will tap into and eventually release or seek out venting into our waking consciousness through external experiences creating our waking reality. We will eventually, in our waking state, most of the time, without realizing it, use this information as the rationale for all our activities.

The theta brain activity can be the initiator of many extraordinary creations as the wellspring for music, poetry, art, etc. Many spiritual insights are discovered and released during this level of brain activity. Deep levels of meditation can be achieved. The yoga and monks, as are others, will go into Theta brain wave to reach the deeper levels of concentration and knowledge. The differences is, of course is, that will most individuals stay unconscious and unaware at this stage, Yogis, Adepts, and Masters can not only achieve this level of awareness at will, but can consciously work with it. Healers, psychics and those who utilize these types of information, usually have high levels of theta availability on an almost continual basis. One might think, "WOW, I'd love to have that!" Well, sometimes it is quite overwhelming not to be able to shut off other peoples, thoughts, visions, empathizes, When one has developed a keen Theta connection it is essential to create definite boundaries or "fire walls" as buffers, so they do not become overwhelmed and confused by way too much input, those who have a keen sense of Theta, usual seek solitude and non-human interaction. That is psychological okay, if it is not exclusive or being used to hide away.

One realized, of course, that human awareness is a combination of all these interlacing levels of brain wave activity. There is no such one that has absolute control nor should they. I do think, that the level of smoothness involved in the integration process of these, is paramount to the "stillness" factor one is able to experience. "

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by wuliheron
Work on it then, that's my advice. Even in attempting to apparently work things out you manage to be insulting:

Whether or not I am too touchy has nothing to do with the issue. It is a nonsequiter. A meaningless and counterproductive comment to add. If you prefer, I'll collect all such statements you make and post them for your edification periodically. At times it is the most effective way of moderating a bulletin board.

Whether or not you're touchy is not a nonsequitor. It is the problem. I'm trying (very hard) to meet you half-way - I fashion my sentences so as not to offend; you try not to take offense, and discover the real meaning behind what I say (as is the course of wisdom). Isn't this the way civilised people are supposed to handle this kind of situation?

The actual "power" or use of paradoxes is another suject altogether. I'll post another thread on that later. For now, suffice it to say they have a number of uses and, paradoxically, often cut right through the BS and go straight to the point of what is wrong.

Are you sure about this? It seems that they often are the problem. They are a dead-end in progressive understanding, AFAIK.

I look forward to a thread on the usefulness of paradox, it sounds interesting.

I would add here that Theta wave activity is an area of research still under intense scrutiny and investigation. That Hindu yogis can use such altered states of consciousness to sit on the bottom a swimming pool for an hour or allow twenty thousand volts to pass harmlessly across their chest speaks volumes to the depths of our ignorance on the subject to date. What the trends in current research seem to suggest is that our emotional states are integral with both our bodies and intellect. That is, the primitive brain both regulates and is an integral partner of the activity in the rest of the rest of the brain. Duh!

Related research into AI and other areas of investigation suggests all of these may revolve around paradox. For reasons unbeknownst to modern science, the human mind is overwhelmingly unwilling to accept its own ignorance. When neurologists stimilate a part of someone's brain they know perfectly well will make them feel angry, sad, laugh, or whatever, and then ask the person why they responded that way, they always invent as reasonable sounding a justification as they are capable of.

Hence, the argumentative nature demonstrated by most people who post here... If there responses are reflexive, they will still invent rationalizations and stretch these to limits of credibility if necessary. :0)

Greetings !
Related research into AI and other areas
of investigation suggests all of these may
revolve around paradox.
I do not see how AI has anything to do with
these effects. I think all of this revolves
around our current scientific - mainly biological
ignorance. Of course, the usefullness of the PoE
you keep mentioning means that I have to respect
that (BS) opinion of yours on this (unfortunetly -
next you'll say we can be Jedi knights and stuff).
Blaiming the PoE for everything you do not know
or understand is a belief on its own right.
Originally posted by Mentat
I'm trying (very hard) to meet you
half-way - I fashion my sentences so as
not to offend; you try not to take offense,
and discover the real meaning behind what
I say (as is the course of wisdom). Isn't
this the way civilised people are supposed
to handle this kind of situation?
No offense Mentat, but the problem is that you
can't meet people half-way on subjects that
do not allow for compromise. Also, I think
wuliheron understands perfectly well everything
you say despite what you might think, the problem
is that you do not fully understand what he says
(partially because he's not very good and patient
when it comes to explaining it and partially
because you sometimes do not appear to give his
words sufficient thought).

BUT, I'm not your "hood shrink", just making some
personal observations, no offense I hope. :smile:

Peace and long life.

Whether or not you're touchy is not a nonsequitor. It is the problem. I'm trying (very hard) to meet you half-way - I fashion my sentences so as not to offend; you try not to take offense, and discover the real meaning behind what I say (as is the course of wisdom). Isn't this the way civilised people are supposed to handle this kind of situation?

I couldn't care less what civilized people are supposed to do, I'm an amoral anarchist. I'd never join a club that would have me as a member. Stop insulting me and then making demands. Get a grip om youself.

Are you sure about this? It seems that they often are the problem. They are a dead-end in progressive understanding, AFAIK.

Check this link out:

http://zebu.uoregon.edu/~js/21st_century_science/lectures/lec08.html

Whatever paradoxes are or are not, they certainly are not merely dead ends. They can be extremely valuable tools as philosophers and mathematicians have demonstrated throughout the eons.

Great link wuliheron (I mean the whole site) !
Thanks !

You're welcome. I've enjoyed the website as well. It's about as concise an account of modern science as I've ever come across. The only thing I'd like to correct is all their typos. :0)

Originally posted by drag
No offense Mentat, but the problem is that you
can't meet people half-way on subjects that
do not allow for compromise. Also, I think
wuliheron understands perfectly well everything
you say despite what you might think, the problem
is that you do not fully understand what he says
(partially because he's not very good and patient
when it comes to explaining it and partially
because you sometimes do not appear to give his
words sufficient thought).

BUT, I'm not your "hood shrink", just making some
personal observations, no offense I hope. :smile:

Peace and long life. [/B]

No offense taken. I thank you for your observation. However, I don't agree that I don't give his ideas sufficient thought. Yes, I reply quickly now, but I didn't used to. I used to have to read and re-read his posts, to make sure I understood them - but now they all look the same as the ones I've seen before (no offense, Wuliheron). That doesn't mean that I don't still try to make sure I understand him, it just means that I don't spend as much time trying to look for something new in his posts.

I couldn't care less what civilized people are supposed to do, I'm an amoral anarchist. I'd never join a club that would have me as a member. Stop insulting me and then making demands. Get a grip om youself.

So, basically, there is no point in trying to make piece with you, because you are amoral, and don't seek to have civilised conversation. Is that right?

Check this link out:

http://zebu.uoregon.edu/~js/21st_century_science/lectures/lec08.html

Whatever paradoxes are or are not, they certainly are not merely dead ends. They can be extremely valuable tools as philosophers and mathematicians have demonstrated throughout the eons.

Thanks for the link. It reminds me of the book Godel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid, by Douglas Hofstadter, which I haven't read in a while. However, I'm not sure that it contradicts my point. You see, I said that paradoxes were the dead-ends of progressive knowledge. I'll revise that, and say "paradoxes are the dead-ends of one idea". They may be useful, since they help mathematicians/logicians to see the flaws of an idea, but the idea itself (any idea that leads to paradox) is still flawed, and should thus be discarded for a better idea, right?

So, basically, there is no point in trying to make piece with you, because you are amoral, and don't seek to have civilised conversation. Is that right?

Is that a Freudian slip or what? Piece?

Peace is not something you have to make, it is something you cultivate, encourage, and simply allow. Morality, on the other hand, is something created and enforced.

The earliest legends of enlightened beings in china were that they could not be killed in battle, they were simply too spontaneous and aware. Also, they would cut your head off with the most serene smile on their face as if to say, "Nothing personal, just doing what I have to do."

Thanks for the link. It reminds me of the book Godel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid, by Douglas Hofstadter, which I haven't read in a while. However, I'm not sure that it contradicts my point. You see, I said that paradoxes were the dead-ends of progressive knowledge. I'll revise that, and say "paradoxes are the dead-ends of one idea". They may be useful, since they help mathematicians/logicians to see the flaws of an idea, but the idea itself (any idea that leads to paradox) is still flawed, and should thus be discarded for a better idea, right?

Wrong, logicians, philosophers, and mathematicians are constantly on the lookout for new paradoxes precisely because they are so useful. Russel's Paradox is one example of a relatively modern paradox that has spawned a great deal of research and continues to do so a hundred years later. Zeno's paradoxes led to the development of infintesimals and are still being intensely studied for that purpose 2,500 years later and so on.

The essential lesson paradoxes have to teach is that,

Because we are ignorant we may learn.

People who believe they have the ultimate answers, that God or logic or material reality or consciousness or whatever ultimately explains everything are fated to be repeatedly confronted with this simple fact of life. Fated not by natural law, but by the paradox of existence and the laws of their own mental abstractions.