Solving a Limiting Situation with Fredholm & Volterra Integral Equations

• MHB
  • Thread starter sarrah1
  • Start date
In summary, Fredholm and Volterra integral equations are types of integral equations used to solve problems in various fields. They are helpful in situations where traditional methods are not effective and have applications in physics, engineering, and other areas. However, they may not always provide a unique solution and their accuracy can be affected by numerical methods.
sarrah1
Hi

I have a recurrence relation

$u(n+1)(x)=\lambda\int_{a}^{b} \,u(n)(s)ds+\mu\int_{a}^{x} \,u(n)(s)ds$ , $u(0)(x)=1$ ,
$\lambda$,$\mu$ are + constants

beware that I failed in writing $u$ subscript $n$ so what you see as $u(n)(x)$ is $u(x)$ in which $u$ is subscript of $n$ or $n+1$

so for $n=1$ we get $u(1)(x)=\lambda(b-a)+\mu(x-a)$

and I wish to study the behaviour of $u(n)(x)$ as $n$ tends to infinity

Now if the 1st term on the R.H.S is nonexistent. I get that

$u(n)(x)=\mu^n\frac{(x-a)^n}{n!}$ so I get for a bounded $x$ that $u(n)(x)$ tends to zero as $n$ tends to infinity

So what if the first terms exist . I cannot find inequalities of this sort. I have the feeling that the same result occurs provided that $\lambda (b-a)<1$ i.e. irrespective of \mu

this problem is related to fredholm and volterra integral equations

grateful Sarrah

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Sarrah,

Thank you for sharing your recurrence relation with us. I am a scientist and I would be happy to assist you in understanding the behavior of $u(n)(x)$ as $n$ tends to infinity.

Firstly, I would like to clarify that your recurrence relation is a form of Volterra integral equation. This type of equation is commonly used to model various physical and biological systems. In your case, it seems to represent a population growth or decay problem.

Now, let's consider the case when the first term on the right-hand side is non-existent. As you correctly pointed out, $u(n)(x)$ tends to zero as $n$ tends to infinity. This is because the term $\mu^n$ gets smaller and smaller as $n$ increases, and eventually becomes negligible. This result is independent of the value of $\mu$, as long as it is positive.

Next, let's consider the case when the first term is present. In this case, the behavior of $u(n)(x)$ depends on the values of $\lambda$ and $\mu$. As you mentioned, if $\lambda(b-a)<1$, then $u(n)(x)$ will still tend to zero as $n$ tends to infinity. This is because the term $\lambda(b-a)^n$ will decrease faster than $\mu^n$, making the overall expression approach zero.

However, if $\lambda(b-a)>1$, then the behavior of $u(n)(x)$ will depend on the relative magnitudes of $\lambda$ and $\mu$. If $\lambda>\mu$, then $u(n)(x)$ will tend to infinity as $n$ tends to infinity. This is because the term $\lambda(b-a)^n$ will dominate and make the overall expression grow exponentially. On the other hand, if $\lambda<\mu$, then $u(n)(x)$ will tend to zero as $n$ tends to infinity. This is because the term $\mu^n$ will dominate and make the overall expression approach zero.

In conclusion, the behavior of $u(n)(x)$ as $n$ tends to infinity depends on the values of $\lambda$ and $\mu$, and whether or not the first term on the right-hand side is present. I hope this helps in understanding your recurrence relation better. Good luck with your study of Fredholm and Volterra integral equations.

Related to Solving a Limiting Situation with Fredholm & Volterra Integral Equations

1. What are Fredholm and Volterra integral equations?

Fredholm and Volterra integral equations are types of integral equations that are used to solve problems in mathematical physics, engineering, and other fields. They involve finding a function that satisfies a given integral equation.

2. What is a limiting situation in the context of integral equations?

A limiting situation in the context of integral equations is when the solution to the equation becomes difficult or impossible to find using traditional methods. This can happen when the equation becomes too complex or when the integral is infinite.

3. How do Fredholm and Volterra integral equations help solve limiting situations?

Fredholm and Volterra integral equations provide alternative methods for solving limiting situations. They use different techniques and approaches to find solutions that may not be possible with traditional methods.

4. What are some applications of Fredholm and Volterra integral equations?

Fredholm and Volterra integral equations have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to solve problems related to heat transfer, fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and more.

5. Are there any limitations to using Fredholm and Volterra integral equations?

While Fredholm and Volterra integral equations can be powerful tools for solving limiting situations, they also have their limitations. They may not always provide a unique solution, and their accuracy can be affected by the choice of numerical methods used.