Solving a Homework Assignment: Airplane Flight in a Windy Day

In summary, homework equations state that an airplane's air speed is 580km/h and it is supposed to fly in a straight path 38N of E. However, a steady 72km/h wind is blowing from the north. The plane should head in the direction of 43.6N of E. However, the student is not sure how to get this number. They were told to use sin/72=sin(38+90)/580, which works, but the student is not completely sure if that's what they should use. My friend told the student to use sin/72=sin(38+90)/580, which works, but the student is not completely sure if that's what they should
wuki1

Homework Statement

an airplane, whose air speed is 580km/h, is supposed to fly in a straight path 38N of E. But a steady 72km/h wind is blowing from the north. In what direction should the plane head? i know the answer is 43.6 N of E but i am not completely sure how to get it

Homework Equations

so i think i have to use 580cos(38) and 580sin(38) but when i do it this way it does not work.
My friend told me to use sin/72=sin(38+90)/580 which does work but i am not completely sure if that's what i should use

The Attempt at a Solution

before i used 580cos(38) 580sin(38) 72cos(270) and 72sin(270) but i got something like 43.2 instead of 43.6 if somebody could explain it to me it would help. thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you draw a sketch? You can add the velocity of the airplane and the wind velocity (as vectors) to get the effective velocity and its direction. You can use that diagram to get the correct formula.

the problem is tho that you only have the velocity of the plane no? because you do not have its direction that is what you are trying to get the direction it should go in because while its supposed to be at a 38 angle the south wind is changing its direction. so when i tried doing it that way i did
580cos(38)=457.0462371
580sin(38) + 720=429.0836557
and if you then do arctan you get 43.2 which is not correct because it an angle of 43.6
while you can use the law of sines i am trying how to figure it out using the vector components

580 cos(38) etc. cannot be interesting because the 580 is the plane's speed relative to the air but the 38 is not the plane's heading relative to the air. Put in an unknown for the relative heading and obtain some equations.

so would the equation look something like this
580^2=(72+xsin(38))^2+(xcos(38))^2? if so how would one go abut solving it because i am having trouble figuring this out.

Actually, I said to introduce an unknown for the heading. That's an angle. But you've introduced x as the net speed, which is fine. And your equation looks right.
Can you not expand the squarings on the RHS to obtain a quadratic in x?

Related to Solving a Homework Assignment: Airplane Flight in a Windy Day

1. How do I approach solving an airplane flight in a windy day homework assignment?

To solve this type of homework assignment, it is important to first understand the basic principles of flight, such as lift, drag, thrust, and weight. Then, you should carefully read through the given problem and identify the variables, equations, and formulas that are relevant to solving it. From there, you can use mathematical calculations and problem-solving strategies to find the solution.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving an airplane flight in a windy day homework assignment?

One common mistake is not paying attention to units and converting them correctly. Another is not properly setting up equations or using incorrect formulas. It is also important to double-check your calculations and use significant figures appropriately.

3. How do I take into account the effects of wind on an airplane's flight in my calculations?

To account for the effects of wind, you will need to use vector addition and consider the direction and magnitude of the wind in relation to the airplane's motion. This can be done by breaking down the wind and airplane velocities into horizontal and vertical components and using trigonometric functions to find the resultant velocity.

4. Can I use a calculator or do I need to solve the equations by hand?

It is typically acceptable to use a calculator for solving equations in this type of homework assignment. However, it is important to show your work and provide clear and organized steps in your calculations.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding airplane flight in a windy day?

Understanding the principles of flight and how wind affects an airplane's motion is essential for pilots to safely navigate through different weather conditions. It is also important for engineers to design and test airplanes for optimal performance in windy conditions. Additionally, studying this topic can help improve air traffic control and airport operations.