Solving a H Atom Energy Problem: Am I Being an Idiot?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the minimum energy photon that an H atom in its ground state can absorb. The formula being used is En2-En1=hcR∞(1/n12 - 1/n22), but there is confusion about the values for n1 and n2. The correct ground state is n = 1, not n = 0, and the final term should be 1/4. The conversation ends with a playful remark about the "solved" button.
Johnny010
I am having a problem with this question in a past exam paper...I may just be being a bit of an idiot:

Show that if an H atom is in its ground state the minimum energy photon it can
absorb is 1.634x10-18 J.

I am using The formula:

En2-En1=hcR∞(1/n12 - 1/n22)

I keep getting a different value using n1 as 0 and n2 as 1...also using 1 and 2 respectively.
What am I doing incorrectly?

Physics news on Phys.org
The ground state is n = 1 (not n = 0).

Sorry...I was forgetting to do 1/4 for the final term...It has been a long day.

Where is the solved button?

Johnny010 said:
Where is the solved button?

It dissolved. :biggrin:

Related to Solving a H Atom Energy Problem: Am I Being an Idiot?

1. What are the steps to solve a hydrogen atom energy problem?

The first step is to identify the given values, such as the energy level or wavelength. Then, use the appropriate equation to solve for the unknown value. Finally, double check your work and make sure the units are correct.

2. How do I know if I am using the correct equation?

You can consult a textbook or online resource for a list of equations related to hydrogen atom energy problems. Make sure to read the problem carefully and use the equation that corresponds to the given information.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a hydrogen atom energy problem?

Be sure to keep track of units and use the correct conversion factors. Also, make sure to use the correct equation and plug in the values correctly. Finally, double check your calculations before submitting your answer.

4. What if my answer does not match the given answer?

Check your calculations and make sure you used the correct equation and values. If you are still unsure, ask a classmate or teacher for assistance or consult a textbook or online resource for practice problems.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for hydrogen atom energy problems?

Practice makes perfect! Make sure to work through a variety of problems and ask for help if needed. You can also review the concepts and equations related to hydrogen atom energy problems to strengthen your understanding.