Solving a Gravitation Problem: Finding the Size of a Solid Gold Sphere

• Thread starter jakeowens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravitation
In summary: So in this case, you can use the given altitude of 64.0 km as the semimajor axis. And the mass of the moon can be looked up or given to you. Plug those values into the equation and solve for the period. In summary, the conversation involves solving two problems: calculating the size of a solid gold sphere with a specific acceleration due to gravity and determining the orbital period of a lunar module around the Moon. The first problem can be solved by combining equations for acceleration due to gravity and mass, density, and size. The second problem can be solved using Kepler's Third Law, with the given altitude of the module and the mass of the moon.
jakeowens
Here's the problem I've been working on.

Gold has density of 19.3x103 kg/m3. How big would a solid gold sphere have to be if the acceleration due to gravity at its surface is to be 9.87 m/s2? (Check your answer against the radius of the Earth, which has a mean density of 5.5x103 kg/m3.)

Now I'm probably making this way to hard, and I am completely lost, and was wondering if anyone could help me out. The only way i could think to do this problem, was to calculate out the mass, then the radius, and volume of the earth. Then use the density of gold to find out how large a gold ball would have to be to be the same weight as earth.

But then when i get the radius of the gold ball and plug it into the equation g=G*(Me/Re^2) which should equal 9.87, but it equals like 15. so i know i screwed up somewhere.

I just can't think of how to do this problem.

any help is much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Either my problems are incredibly hard, and expect way to much from you, or i am being stupid and trying to do things the hard way.

Each of the Apollo Lunar Modules was in a very low orbit around the Moon. Given a typical mass of 14.7 E 3 kg, assume an altitude of 64.0 km and determine the orbital period.

this problem has me stumped to. I find myself having to look up things on the internet, such as the mass of the moon and radius of the moon and crap like that. This can't possibly be that involved can it. So that's why i think I'm doing this all wrong, and was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

jakeowens said:
Gold has density of 19.3x103 kg/m3. How big would a solid gold sphere have to be if the acceleration due to gravity at its surface is to be 9.87 m/s2? (Check your answer against the radius of the Earth, which has a mean density of 5.5x103 kg/m3.)

Consider the equation for acceleration due to gravity:

[tex]g=\frac{GM}{r^2}[/tex]

Consider also the equation relating mass, density, and size:

[tex]M=\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3 \rho[/tex]

Can you see a way to combine those equations to get a size, given acceleration and density?

Forget about the earth, it's a red herring, all you need to know is its acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

jakeowens said:
Each of the Apollo Lunar Modules was in a very low orbit around the Moon. Given a typical mass of 14.7 E 3 kg, assume an altitude of 64.0 km and determine the orbital period.

Consider Kepler's Third Law:

[tex]P^2=\frac{4\pi^2a^3}{GM}[/tex]

Hint: You don't need the mass of the module.

what does that p looking sign mean in your first post, is that density?

Alright i got the first problem now, thanks. Hadnt considered combining those 2 problems, going to work on the 2nd now :D

what do you mean i don't need the weight of the module? I'm having a hard time with this one. What values am i supposed to use for a? or M?

jakeowens said:
what do you mean i don't need the weight of the module? I'm having a hard time with this one. What values am i supposed to use for a? or M?

Kepler's Third Law relates the period of an orbiting body to the semimajor axis of its orbit and the mass of the body around which it orbits. In a circular orbit, the semimajor axis is just the radius of the orbit.

Related to Solving a Gravitation Problem: Finding the Size of a Solid Gold Sphere

1. What is the definition of gravitation?

Gravitation, also known as gravity, is a natural phenomenon by which all physical bodies with mass are brought towards one another.

2. How does Newton's law of gravitation explain the force of gravity?

Newton's law of gravitation states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight in terms of gravitation?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, while weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational field.

4. How does Einstein's theory of general relativity explain gravitation?

Einstein's theory of general relativity explains gravitation as the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. This curvature causes objects to move towards each other due to the force of gravity.

5. What are some real-life applications of gravitation?

Gravitation has many practical applications, including predicting the motions of celestial bodies, enabling space travel, and allowing for the functioning of tools such as scales, satellites, and GPS systems.