Solving a Conceptual Problem: Internal Energy Constant

• Thread starter Deoxygenation
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conceptual
In summary, the conversation is discussing a multiple choice question about different types of processes, specifically focusing on the concept of isobaric processes and the other options of isovolumetric, isothermal, adiabatic, and isometric processes. The individual asking for help is looking for the answer to part E, which is the type of process where the internal energy of the system remains constant.
Deoxygenation
This sort of question might be hard since its very general, but I got it off a mutiple choice exam, and I was trying to figure what each choice belong to, I got 4 out of 5 of them, but one of them sort of stumps me, maybe you guys know what it is...

The question ask

---In an isobaric process:

Which of course, is that the pressure remains constant.

And the other choices were

A. The volume remains constant = Isovolumetric
B. The temperature remains constant = Isothermal
C. The pressure remains constant = Isobaric
D. No heat is transferred between a system and its surroundings = Adiabatic
E. The internal energy is constant --- (?)

On part E, I have no idea what type of process that could be to keep internal energy constant. That is the question I'm asking, I just gave the rest of the details, because they all sort of relay to each other, and hopefully may bring some memory or thought of what it could be.

Thanks for any help given :+)

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to part E is Isometric. An isometric process is one in which the internal energy of the system remains constant.

As a scientist, my response to this question would be that the correct answer is E. In an isobaric process, the pressure remains constant, but the internal energy can still change. Therefore, E is the only statement that is not necessarily true for an isobaric process.

However, there are certain processes in which the internal energy remains constant, such as an isochoric process (also known as an isovolumetric process), where the volume remains constant and no work is done. In this case, the internal energy remains constant because there is no change in volume or work being done.

Another example is an adiabatic process, where no heat is transferred between the system and its surroundings. In this case, the internal energy also remains constant because there is no heat being added or removed from the system.

Overall, it is important to note that the internal energy of a system can change in various processes, but it is only constant in specific cases such as an isochoric or adiabatic process. It is important to understand the specific conditions and assumptions of a process in order to correctly identify the changes in internal energy.

Related to Solving a Conceptual Problem: Internal Energy Constant

1. What is internal energy constant and why is it important?

Internal energy constant refers to the amount of energy within a system that is not associated with its motion or position. It is important because it helps us understand the behavior and changes in a system and allows us to make predictions and solve problems in thermodynamics.

2. How is internal energy constant calculated?

The internal energy constant can be calculated by adding the kinetic and potential energies of all of the particles in a system. It can also be calculated by subtracting the work done on the system from the heat added to the system.

3. What is the difference between internal energy constant and enthalpy?

Internal energy constant only takes into account the energy within a system, while enthalpy includes both the internal energy and the energy transferred from the surroundings. Enthalpy is often used to measure the heat content of a system at constant pressure.

4. How does the internal energy constant change during a phase change?

During a phase change, the internal energy constant remains constant. This is because the energy is being used to break or form intermolecular bonds, rather than changing the temperature of the substance.

5. Can the internal energy constant of a closed system ever be negative?

No, the internal energy constant of a closed system can never be negative. This is because energy cannot be destroyed, only transferred. Therefore, the internal energy constant can only increase or remain constant in a closed system.