Solving a circuit with Laplace

In summary, the conversation discusses using Laplace domain to solve a circuit with zero initial conditions. The speaker provides tips on using Laplace domain and mentions that reactive components have "impedances" that automatically handle differentiation and integration. The equations are then rewritten using Laplace domain and the speaker points out a mistake in one of the terms. The conversation ends with a discussion on solving for VB instead of VA and the speaker points out the mistake of mixing time-domain and Laplace domain functions.
eehelp150

Homework Statement

upload_2016-11-30_0-44-27.png

Assume zero initial conditions

Step 1. Write the nodal equations to find i(t) in the time domain.
Step 2.Solve the differential equation obtained in step 1 using laplace to obtain i(t).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Convert to sdomain
##7e^{-6t}## becomes ##\frac{7}{s+6}##
4H becomes 4s

##\frac{7}{s+6}+\frac{V_A}{5}+\frac{1}{4s}\int_{0}^{t}(V_A-V_B)=0##

##\frac{1}{4s}\int_{0}^{t}(V_B-V_A)+\frac{V_B}{3}=0##

Am I doing this right?

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-30_0-33-12.png
    upload_2016-11-30_0-33-12.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 393
Physics news on Phys.org
There should be no explicit integrals or derivatives required in the equations that you write. Laplace takes care of all that implicitly.

The Laplace "variable" s is more of an operator than a variable. When s multiplies a Laplace domain function (such as sVa(s)) it is equivalent to differentiating the corresponding time-domain function. When a Laplace domain function is divided by s, it is equivalent to integrating in the time domain. So (ignoring initial conditions):

##sF(s) ⇔ \frac{d}{dt}f(t)##

##\frac{1}{s} F(s) ⇔ \int_o^t f(\tau)~d \tau##

A nice thing about the Laplace domain is that reactive components have "impedances" that automatically take care of their own differentiation and integration. Thus Laplace domain "impedances" sL for inductors and 1/(sC) for capacitors carry with them their own operators that automatically handle the calculus. All you have to do is write your circuit equations with these "impedances", manipulating them with standard algebra, and it's as though all the calculus were being done for you behind the scenes.

Likes FactChecker
gneill said:
There should be no explicit integrals or derivatives required in the equations that you write. Laplace takes care of all that implicitly.

The Laplace "variable" s is more of an operator than a variable. When s multiplies a Laplace domain function (such as sVa(s)) it is equivalent to differentiating the corresponding time-domain function. When a Laplace domain function is divided by s, it is equivalent to integrating in the time domain. So (ignoring initial conditions):

##sF(s) ⇔ \frac{d}{dt}f(t)##

##\frac{1}{s} F(s) ⇔ \int_o^t f(\tau)~d \tau##

A nice thing about the Laplace domain is that reactive components have "impedances" that automatically take care of their own differentiation and integration. Thus Laplace domain "impedances" sL for inductors and 1/(sC) for capacitors carry with them their own operators that automatically handle the calculus. All you have to do is write your circuit equations with these "impedances", manipulating them with standard algebra, and it's as though all the calculus were being done for you behind the scenes.
##\frac{7}{s+6}+\frac{V_A}{5}+\frac{V_A-V_B}{4s}=0##
##\frac{V_B-V_A}{4s}+\frac{V_B}{3}=0##
Does this look better?

Yes, that looks better. Just check the sign on the first term of the first equation. As written you have the source current flowing out of node A (judging by how you've written the other terms).

gneill said:
Yes, that looks better. Just check the sign on the first term of the first equation. As written you have the source current flowing out of node A (judging by how you've written the other terms).
##-\frac{7}{s+6}+\frac{V_A}{5}+\frac{V_A-V_B}{4s}=0##

##\frac{-28s}{s+6}+\frac{4sV_A}{5}+V_A-V_B=0##
##\frac{-28s}{s+6}+\frac{4sV_A}{5}+V_A=V_B##

##\frac{\frac{-28s}{s+6}+\frac{4sV_A}{5}+V_A-V_A}{4s}+\frac{\frac{-28s}{s+6}+\frac{4sV_A}{5}+V_A}{3}=0##

##\frac{-7s}{s+6}+\frac{V_A}{5}+\frac{-28s}{3s+18}+\frac{4sV_A}{15}+\frac{V_A}{3}=0####V_A(\frac{1}{5}+\frac{1}{3}+\frac{4s}{15})=\frac{49s}{3s+18}##
##V_A(\frac{8}{15}+\frac{4s}{15})=\frac{49s}{3s+18}##
##V_A=\frac{49s}{3s+18}*\frac{15}{8+4s}##

Am I on the right track?

Last edited:
eehelp150 said:
##-\frac{7}{s+6}+\frac{V_A}{5}+\frac{V_A-V_B}{4s}=0##

##\frac{-28s}{s+6}+\frac{4sV_A}{5}+V_A-V_B=0##
##\frac{-28s}{s+6}+\frac{4sV_A}{5}+V_A=V_B##

##\frac{\frac{-28s}{s+6}+\frac{4sV_A}{5}+V_A-V_A}{4s}+\frac{\frac{-28s}{s+6}+\frac{4sV_A}{5}+V_A}{3}=0##

##\frac{-7s}{s+6}+\frac{V_A}{5}+\frac{-28s}{3s+18}+\frac{4sV_A}{15}+\frac{V_A}{3}=0##
Check the first term on the last line

gneill said:
##\frac{-7}{s+6}+\frac{V_A}{5}+\frac{-28s}{3s+18}+\frac{4sV_A}{15}+\frac{V_A}{3}=0##
##V_A(\frac{1}{5}+\frac{4s}{15}+\frac{1}{3})+\frac{-28s-21}{3s+18}=0##
##V_A(\frac{4s+8}{15})=\frac{28s+21}{3s+18}##
##V_A=\frac{28s+21}{3s+18}*\frac{15}{4s+8}##

Last edited:
gneill said:
Trying to get Vb instead of Va. Could you check my work? i(t) = VB/3, correct?
##\frac{V_B-V_C}{4s}+\frac{V_B}{3}=0##
##V_B-V_A+\frac{4sV_B}{3}##
##V_A=V_B+\frac{4sV_B}{3}##
sub into eqA
##-7e^{-6t}+\frac{V_B(1+\frac{4s}{3})}{5}+\frac{V_B(1+\frac{4s}{3})}{4s}##
simplify
##-7e^{-6t}+\frac{V_B}{5}+\frac{4sV_B}{15}+\frac{V_B}{4s}+\frac{V_B}{3}=0##
##-7e^{-6t}+\frac{8V_B+V_B4s}{15}+\frac{V_B}{4s}=0##
##\frac{8V_B+V_B4s}{15}+\frac{V_B}{4s}=7e^{-6t}##
mult everything by 60s
##32sV_B+16s^2V_B+15V_B=420se^{-6t}##
##e^{-6t} = \frac{1}{s+6}##
##32sV_B+16s^2V_B+15V_B=\frac{420s}{s+6}##

##V_B=\frac{420s}{(4s+3)(4s+5)(s+6)}##

Partial fraction decomp:
upload_2016-12-1_2-34-14.png

Inverse Laplace:
VB=
upload_2016-12-1_2-40-35.png

i(t)=VB/3 =
upload_2016-12-1_2-41-53.png

is this correct?

eehelp150 said:
Trying to get Vb instead of Va. Could you check my work? i(t) = VB/3, correct?
Yes, that's correct.
##\frac{V_B-V_C}{4s}+\frac{V_B}{3}=0##
##V_B-V_A+\frac{4sV_B}{3}##
##V_A=V_B+\frac{4sV_B}{3}##
sub into eqA
##-7e^{-6t}+\frac{V_B(1+\frac{4s}{3})}{5}+\frac{V_B(1+\frac{4s}{3})}{4s}##
Problem: You can't mix time-domain and Laplace domain functions. ##7e^{-6t}## doesn't belong here.

gneill said:
Yes, that's correct.

Problem: You can't mix time-domain and Laplace domain functions. ##7e^{-6t}## doesn't belong here.
I ended up getting VB=
upload_2016-12-1_3-23-6.png

i(s) = VB(s)/3 =
upload_2016-12-1_3-25-13.png

i(t)=
upload_2016-12-1_3-25-26.png

However, the answer should be:
upload_2016-12-1_3-24-58.png

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

EDIT: I think I see my mistake. I will rework and post results

Last edited:
All I can tell is that your Laplace expression for VB has not turned out correctly. There's a lot of tedious algebra involved so you'll need to be very careful at each step.

I 'll admit that reviewing every line of algebra is not my favorite thing to do, so instead I'm going to give you a goal to work towards. The solution for VB(s) should be able to be expressed in the form:

##VB = A \frac{1}{(s+6)(s+2)}##, where A is a numeric constant.

Related to Solving a circuit with Laplace

1. What is Laplace transform and how does it relate to circuit analysis?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to analyze and solve differential equations. In the context of circuit analysis, it allows us to transform the time-domain equations into the frequency domain, making it easier to solve complex circuits.

2. How do I apply Laplace transform to a circuit?

To apply Laplace transform to a circuit, we first need to write the differential equations that describe the circuit. Then, we can use the properties of Laplace transform to transform the equations into the frequency domain. Finally, we can solve the resulting equations to find the solution in the time domain.

3. What are the advantages of using Laplace transform in circuit analysis?

Laplace transform offers several advantages in circuit analysis. It allows us to solve complex circuits with multiple components and sources using simple algebraic operations. It also helps in finding the steady-state response of circuits, which is useful in design and analysis.

4. Can Laplace transform be used for both AC and DC circuits?

Yes, Laplace transform can be used for both AC and DC circuits. However, it is more commonly used for AC circuits, as the analysis of DC circuits can be done using simpler techniques.

5. Are there any limitations to using Laplace transform in circuit analysis?

One limitation of Laplace transform is that it assumes all circuit components to be linear. It also cannot be used for circuits with time-varying parameters. In addition, the inverse Laplace transform process can be challenging for complex functions.