Solving a Central Force Motion Problem: Find E & L

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a body of mass 1kg moving under the influence of a central force with a given potential energy function. The body is found to move in a circular orbit of radius 2m. The goal is to find the total energy and angular momentum of the body. The solution involves calculating the force from the potential energy function, finding the velocity and using it to calculate angular momentum and total energy. The questioner asks if there is an easier method for this calculation, but the response confirms the proposed method is correct and not overly complicated.
anirudh dutta

Homework Statement

a body of mass 1kg moves under the influence of a central force with potential energy question V(r)= -exp(-3r/2)/5r2
.it is found to move under a circular orbit of radius 2 m

Homework Equations

find the total energy and the angular momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to at least attempt to solve the problem if you expect help.

see, since i have the potential energy fn, i can calculate the force by calculating the negative of grad of V.
This force will be balanced by the centripital corce i.e mv^2 /r. from here i can cal the velocity, v.
thus the angular mom is simply mvr and total energy is P.E+K.E

Sounds good. So what is your question?

firstly the mathematical calculation is very tedious. So is there sm another meathod

I don't know of a better way. It doesn't look that bad. If you have access to software like Mathematica, it will be a snap, but even without that it should be less than one page.

Your method seems correct and it's not tedious at all. You should be able to do it with pencil and paper just fine.

Related to Solving a Central Force Motion Problem: Find E & L

1. What is a central force motion problem?

A central force motion problem is a type of physics problem that involves a particle moving under the influence of a force that is directed towards a fixed point, known as the center. This type of problem is often encountered in celestial mechanics and other areas of physics.

2. How do you find the energy (E) and angular momentum (L) in a central force motion problem?

To find the energy and angular momentum in a central force motion problem, you will need to use the equations E = 1/2mv^2 + V(r) and L = mr^2(dθ/dt), respectively. These equations represent the conservation of energy and conservation of angular momentum principles in a central force system.

3. What are the key steps in solving a central force motion problem?

The key steps in solving a central force motion problem are to first identify the type of central force present (i.e. gravitational, electric, etc.), then express the force in terms of the distance from the center and the angle of rotation. Next, use the equations for conservation of energy and angular momentum to solve for E and L. Finally, use these values to solve for the trajectory of the particle.

4. What are some common examples of central force motion problems?

Some common examples of central force motion problems include a planet orbiting around a star, a satellite orbiting around Earth, and an electron orbiting around the nucleus of an atom. These systems all involve a central force that keeps the particle in orbit around a fixed point.

5. How can solving central force motion problems be applied in real-life situations?

Solving central force motion problems can be applied in a variety of real-life situations, such as predicting the trajectory of a spacecraft or satellite, understanding the motion of celestial bodies in our solar system, and designing efficient orbits for space missions. Additionally, the principles of central force motion can also be applied in fields such as engineering and mechanics.