Solving a 2D Physics Problem with Unknown Circle Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving an object traveling in a circular path with given initial velocity and acceleration. The distance between points P and Q is calculated using vector math, and the velocity at point Q is found using the equations provided. The distance between points Q and R is also calculated using the given information. The possibility of finding the coordinates of point R using this information is discussed, with the suggestion of using polar coordinates and converting to cartesian afterwards. The conversation ends with a thank you to someone for their help in solving the problem.
jdred23
Hello everyone! I've found a physics problem that i don't know the solution of(maybe because of my limited knowledge). The problem is something like this:

Let's say an object travels in a circular path from [itex]P[/itex] to [itex]Q[/itex] and [itex]Q[/itex] to [itex]R[/itex] in which [itex]P[/itex], [itex]Q[/itex] and [itex]R[/itex]are not the center of the circle(because [itex]P[/itex], [itex]Q[/itex], [itex]R[/itex] are on the circumference of the circle) and we don't know the equation of the circle.

We are given the 2D coordinate of [itex]P[/itex] and [itex]Q[/itex], the initial velocity at [itex]P[/itex] is [itex]0[/itex], the object has the same acceleration all the way from [itex]P[/itex] upto [itex]R[/itex] and the object goes from [itex]P[/itex] to [itex]Q[/itex] in [itex]1 \text{ millisecond}[/itex] and [itex]Q[/itex] to [itex]R[/itex] in [itex] 2 \text{ millisecond}[/itex]

Is it possible to find the 2D coordinate of [itex]R[/itex]?

The way I tried to solve it:

I managed to find the distance [itex]QR[/itex] by using the following calculations.

We know that:

[itex]s_{pq}= (u_{p} * t_{pq}) + (\frac{1}{2}*a_{pq}*t_{pq}^2)[/itex]

By rearranging we get:

[itex]a_{pq} =\frac{\Large{2(s_{pq} - u_{p}*t_{pq})}}{\Large{t_{pq}^2}}\text{...(1)}\\
\text{where } a_{pq} = \text{ acceleration between }P\text{ and }Q, s_{pq} = \text{ the distance between } P \text{ and } Q\text{(found using simple vector math) }, u_{p} = 0\text{( initial velocity is 0 given)} \text{ and }t_{pq} = 1\text{ millisecond(given)}[/itex]

Now we know [itex]a_{pq}[/itex] Also we know that:

[itex]v_{q} = u_{p} + a_{pq} * t_{pq}\text{...(2)} \\
\text{where } v_{q} = \text{ velocity at } Q, u_{p} = 0\text{ (initial velocity)}, a_{pq} = \text{ found above in eq(1) and } t_{pq} = 1\text{ millisecond(given)}[/itex]

Plugging in [itex]a_{pq}[/itex] and [itex]v_q[/itex] into the equation below we get the distance between [itex]Q[/itex] and [itex]R[/itex]

[itex]s_{qr} = v_{q} * t_{qr} + \frac{1}{2} * a_{pq} * t_{qr}^2 \\
\text{where }s_{qr} =\text{ distance between } Q \text{ and } R, v_{q} = \text{ is found above in eq(2) }, a_{pq} = \text{ found above in eq(1) and } t_{qr} = 2\text{ millisecond(given)}[/itex]

So i know the distance between [itex]P[/itex] and [itex]Q[/itex] and the distance between [itex]Q[/itex] and [itex]R[/itex].

Now how do I use this information to get the coordinate of [itex]R[/itex]? Any thoughts on this? Is it possible to find the coordinate of [itex]R[/itex] in this way?

Physics news on Phys.org

You could use polar coordinates where distance = r θ, (in this case r is constant) then
convert to cartesian afterwards. I assume when you stated acceleration is the same,
you meant the tangental component of acceleration, since the radial component of
acceleration increases over time in this case and at any moment = v2 / r.

Thank you rcgldr so much for your help. That solves my problem. I really appreciate your help.

Related to Solving a 2D Physics Problem with Unknown Circle Equation

1. What is a 2D physics problem with unknown circle equation?

A 2D physics problem with unknown circle equation involves using the principles of physics to solve for the properties of a circle, such as its radius or center point, without knowing the specific equation that represents it.

2. How is this type of problem solved?

This problem can be solved using various techniques, such as the Pythagorean theorem, equations of motion, and conservation of energy. It also requires an understanding of mathematical concepts such as vectors and trigonometry.

3. What are some real-world applications of solving 2D physics problems with unknown circle equation?

This type of problem is commonly encountered in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics, where the properties of circles are used to design structures, predict motion, and analyze collisions. It can also be applied to problems in astronomy and navigation.

4. What are some challenges that may arise when solving these types of problems?

One challenge is accurately defining the problem and identifying the appropriate equations to use. Another challenge is ensuring that all the necessary variables and measurements are known. Additionally, rounding errors and approximations may affect the accuracy of the solution.

5. How can one improve their problem-solving skills for 2D physics problems with unknown circle equation?

Practice is key to improving problem-solving skills in any field. Working through different types of problems and understanding the underlying concepts is crucial. Seeking help from a tutor or instructor can also be beneficial in developing problem-solving techniques.