Solving 6-Digit Number Quandaries: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

• MHB
  • Thread starter Ciaran
  • Start date
In summary: Thanks a lot, guys! Perhaps I could have used the fact that the remainder after dividing a six digit number by 8 is 4d+2e+f- just a thought!Yes, this is a possible way to approach the problem.
Ciaran
Hi there, I'm looking for some confirmation for the following problem:
The digits 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 are written down in some order to form a six-digit number.
(1) How many such six-digit numbers are there altogether?
(2) How many such numbers are even?
(3) How many are divisible by 4?
(4) How many are divisible by 8?

For (1) I got 720, simply the permutations of 6 digits taking 6 at a time and for (2) I got 360. I'm not sure exactly how to proceed with (3) or (4). I know that (3) will help with (4) because if a number is divisible by 8, it must be divisible by 4.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ciaran said:
Hi there, I'm looking for some confirmation for the following problem:
The digits 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 are written down in some order to form a six-digit number.

For (1) I got 720, simply the permutations of 6 digits taking 6 at a time and for (2) I got 360. I'm not sure exactly how to proceed with (3) or (4). I know that (3) will help with (4) because if a number is divisible by 8, it must be divisible by 4.
The condition for an even number to be a multiple of 4 is

either the last digit is a multiple of 4 and the next-to-last digit is even
or the last digit is not a multiple of 4 and the next-to-last digit is odd.​

There is a similar condition for a multiple of 4 to be a multiple of 8, using the last three digits of the number. If the hundreds digit is even then the number formed by the last two digits must be a multiple of 8, and if the hundreds digit is odd then the number formed by the last two digits must not be a multiple of 8.

Thanks for your reply! How would I go about using this and would it have to be a case by case job? Do you agree with my answers for (1) and (2)?

Ciaran said:
Thanks for your reply! How would I go about using this and would it have to be a case by case job? Do you agree with my answers for (1) and (2)?
Yes I do agree with your answers to (1) and (2).

For (3), as far as I can see you do need to work on a case by case basis, at least to some extent. There are not too many cases to consider. In fact, the last two digits of an even number must be
12, 14, 16, 24, 26, 32, 34, 36, 42, 46, 52, 54, 56, 62 or 64. Some of them are multiples of 4 and some are not. But in each case you have the same situation of having four digits to fill the remaining four places.

Is the answer for (3) 192?

Ciaran said:
Is the answer for (3) 192?
Yes. (Sun)

Excellent! Is (4) 18?

Hello, Ciaran!

The digits 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 are written down in some order to form a 6-digit number.

For (1) I got 720, simply the permutations of 6 digits taking 6 at a time
and for (2) I got 360. . Right!.

A number is divisible by 4 if its last two-digit number is divisibe by 4.
There are 8 such endings: $\{12, 16, 24,32, 36,52,56,64\}$
The other 4 digits can be arranged in $4!$ ways.

Therefore: $\:8\cdot4! \:=\:192$ ways.

A number if divisible by 8 if its last 3-digt number is divisble by 8.
There are 14 such endings: $\:\begin{Bmatrix}136,152,216,256,264,312,352 \\ 416, 432,456,512,536,624,632 \end{Bmatrix}.$
The other 3 digits can be arranged in $3!$ ways.

Therefre: $\:14\cdot 3!\:=\:84$ ways.

Thanks a lot, guys! Perhaps I could have used the fact that the remainder after dividing a six digit number by 8 is 4d+2e+f- just a thought!

Related to Solving 6-Digit Number Quandaries: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

What is the purpose of solving 6-digit number quandaries?

The purpose of solving 6-digit number quandaries is to find a solution to a problem that involves a 6-digit number. This could include finding patterns, determining the missing number, or solving mathematical equations.

What is the process for solving a 6-digit number quandary?

The process for solving a 6-digit number quandary may vary depending on the specific problem, but generally it involves analyzing the given numbers, looking for patterns or relationships, and using mathematical operations to find a solution.

Can 6-digit number quandaries be solved without a scientific approach?

Yes, it is possible to solve 6-digit number quandaries without using a scientific approach. Some people may use trial and error, intuition, or other methods to find a solution.

Are there any tips for solving 6-digit number quandaries?

Some tips for solving 6-digit number quandaries include breaking the number into smaller parts, trying different mathematical operations, and looking for patterns or relationships between the numbers.

What are some real-world applications of solving 6-digit number quandaries?

Solving 6-digit number quandaries can have practical applications in fields such as mathematics, computer science, and cryptography. It can also be a fun and challenging exercise for problem-solving and critical thinking skills.