Solving 3x3 Matrix: Solving 3 Equations-3 Unknowns

In summary, using junction, loop rule to come up with 3x3 matrix, 3 equations-3 unknowns was confusing and my teacher said we don't have to care about the direction of currents. I was also told that electron current enters the resistors with negative and exits with positive. I'm a bit confused by your sign convention. For loop ABCF you used "-" when, in your journey around the loop, you crossed a resistor going in the same direction as the assumed current, and "+" when you crossed a resistor in a direction against the current flow. But in your second loop you have - I3r4 +I3r5, when both are being traversed "against the flow". My teacher said that
Blu3eyes

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8187/questiong.jpg

NOTE: I's are the unknowns, R's and emfs are given

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[PLAIN]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2180/solutionv.jpg

Using Junction, loop rule to come up with 3x3 matrix, 3 equations-3 unkowns

Junction C:
I1 + I2 + I3 =0 (1)

Loop ABCF:
-[tex]\epsilon1[/tex] - I1r1 - I1r2 +I2r3 - [tex]\epsilon2[/tex]=0 (2)

Loop FCDE:
+[tex]\epsilon2[/tex] - I2r3 - I3r4 +I3r5 + [tex]\epsilon3[/tex]=0 (3)

I'm not so sure about r2 and r4 as to which current should I use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Blu3eyes said:
Junction C:
I1 + I2 + I3 =0 (1)

Loop ABCF:
-[tex]\epsilon1[/tex] - I1r1 - I1r2 +I2r3 - [tex]\epsilon2[/tex]=0 (2)

Loop FCDE:
+[tex]\epsilon2[/tex] - I2r3 - I3r4 +I3r5 + [tex]\epsilon3[/tex]=0 (3)

I'm not so sure about r2 and r4 as to which current should I use.

I'm a bit confused by your sign convention. For loop ABCF you used "-" when, in your journey around the loop, you crossed a resistor going in the same direction as the assumed current, and "+" when you crossed a resistor in a direction against the current flow. Thus, for example, the terms -I1r1 and +I2r3. But in your second loop you have - I3r4 +I3r5, when both are being traversed "against the flow".

gneill said:
I'm a bit confused by your sign convention. For loop ABCF you used "-" when, in your journey around the loop, you crossed a resistor going in the same direction as the assumed current, and "+" when you crossed a resistor in a direction against the current flow. Thus, for example, the terms -I1r1 and +I2r3. But in your second loop you have - I3r4 +I3r5, when both are being traversed "against the flow".

My teacher said that we did not need to care about the direction of currents. We could have all the currents going the same direction. Eventually, after solving for I's if you have a negative sign, just switch the direction around.
Also, I was told that electron current enters the resistors with negative and exits with positive. This is I got confused whether the signs are right with R2, and R4.
Should Loop FCDE be like this:
Loop FCDE:
+[tex]\epsilon2[/tex] - I2r3 + I3r4 +I3r5 + [tex]\epsilon3[/tex]=0 (3)

Am I heading the right way or should I do it differently.
By blowing up B,C and C,D then hook the two wires and have 2 more currents

Last edited:
The important thing is to be consistent in applying whatever rule you adopt. Your teacher is correct that the directions of the currents will sort themselves out if you made a wrong choice in the initial assignment of their direction. However, the values you get can be wrong if you aren't consistent in the application of your convention within the problem, and particularly for the same current!

You should probably try to get used to using conventional (positive) current rather than electron current. It'll save you a lot of grief in the long run, particularly when communicating with others over a problem, and when interpreting a lot of the mathematics that revolves around circuits and electronic systems.

By the way, you did realize, right, that you could simply add R2 to R1 and R4 to R5 to form two single resistors?

gneill said:
By the way, you did realize, right, that you could simply add R2 to R1 and R4 to R5 to form two single resistors?
This solves everything.:bugeye:
Silly me, I tried doing it the hard way. I was so distracted by the signs and currents.
Thank you so much!

Related to Solving 3x3 Matrix: Solving 3 Equations-3 Unknowns

1. How do I solve a 3x3 matrix with 3 equations and 3 unknowns?

To solve a 3x3 matrix with 3 equations and 3 unknowns, you will need to use the Gauss-Jordan elimination method. This involves performing row operations to reduce the matrix to its reduced row echelon form, which will then reveal the values of the unknown variables.

2. What are the steps involved in solving a 3x3 matrix?

The steps involved in solving a 3x3 matrix are:

1. Write out the 3 equations and 3 unknown variables in matrix form.
  2. Perform row operations to reduce the matrix to its reduced row echelon form.
  3. Use the reduced matrix to solve for the unknown variables.
  4. Check your solution by substituting the values into the original equations.

3. Can a 3x3 matrix have more than one solution?

Yes, a 3x3 matrix can have more than one solution. This occurs when there are infinite solutions or no solutions at all. Infinite solutions happen when one or more equations are dependent, meaning they can be expressed as a linear combination of the other equations. No solutions occur when the equations are inconsistent, meaning they have no common solution.

4. What do the numbers in the reduced row echelon form of a 3x3 matrix represent?

The numbers in the reduced row echelon form of a 3x3 matrix represent the coefficients of the unknown variables in the equations. The numbers on the right side of the augmented matrix represent the constants in the equations.

5. How can solving a 3x3 matrix be useful in real life?

Solving a 3x3 matrix can be useful in many real-life situations, such as solving systems of linear equations in physics, engineering, and economics. It can also be used in computer graphics and data analysis. In general, solving a 3x3 matrix helps in solving problems involving multiple variables and equations.