Solving 3x3 Magic Squares: 4/6-Folder Reflection & Found

In summary, the three by three magic square has a sum of 15. The four by four magic square has a sum of 16. The six by six magic square has a sum of 18.
korr2221
3x3 magic squares * updated

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_square#Types_of_magic_squares_and_their_construction

given a 3x3 block with 3 numbers inserted

e.g.

|2|_|_|
|_|_|6|
|_|3|_|

How would I solve this magic square? Is there a pattern for this?

The method in wikipedia only applies when it starts with the 1. What if it's something like the above?

I have something that I cannot figure out in my notes. My instructor labeled some possible magic squares below...

she labeled these four as 4 folder reflection

|6|1|8|
|7|5|3|
|2|9|4|

|4|9|2|
|3|5|7|
|8|1|6|

|2|7|6|
|9|5|1|
|4|3|8|

|8|3|4|
|1|5|9|
|6|7|2|

then labeled this one below a two step found(i think it's called found can't make out the words)
|6|1|8|
|7|5|3|
|2|9|4|

then label this one below a 4 step found
|4|9|2|
|3|5|7|
|8|1|6|

and labeled this one below a 6 step found
|6|7|2|
|1|5|9|
|8|3|4|

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know whether you got the value for the common sum in your magic square, but for the 3 by 3 square the sum is 15.
Look at your first column, decide how to finish that to get a column sum of 15. With that done you should be able to finish the rest of the square.

There are algorithms for creating a magic square - the easiest ones i know of are for "odd" magic squares (3 by 3, 5 by 5, etc). The are easy to find if you look around.

statdad said:
I don't know whether you got the value for the common sum in your magic square, but for the 3 by 3 square the sum is 15.
Look at your first column, decide how to finish that to get a column sum of 15. With that done you should be able to finish the rest of the square.

There are algorithms for creating a magic square - the easiest ones i know of are for "odd" magic squares (3 by 3, 5 by 5, etc). The are easy to find if you look around.

I understand this, however, in my notes it mentioned 4 steps, 6 steps, and stuff likr 4 folder reflexive... anyone got any idea what's all about?

Then, what, exactly, is your question? If you are given some of the numbers, like in your original post, then the simplest way to find the others is to set up the equations they must satisfy to add up to 15.

What your teacher is giving is how, given one magic square, to create others by reflection, etc.

I don't wish to bust your bubble, but there's only one 3 x 3 normal magic square, 880 distinct 4 x 4 normal MS; 275,305,224 distinct normal 5 x 5 MS (no one knows exactly how many above a 5 x 5 normal MS).

MS formed by reflection, rotation and transposition are trivial since each member keeps the other members as the same neighbors. [MS = magic square(s)]

Related to Solving 3x3 Magic Squares: 4/6-Folder Reflection & Found

1. How do you solve a 3x3 magic square?

To solve a 3x3 magic square, you must first arrange the numbers 1-9 in a 3x3 grid so that each row, column, and diagonal adds up to the same number. This number is called the magic constant. Then, using a combination of logic and trial and error, you must manipulate the numbers in the grid to form a magic square. This can be done by starting with known patterns and filling in the remaining numbers.

2. What is a 4/6-folder reflection?

A 4/6-folder reflection is a method used in solving 3x3 magic squares that involves folding the square diagonally in half and then in half again to create 4 equal sections. This allows for easier visualization of patterns and helps to identify where numbers should be placed in the square.

3. What is the significance of the "found" in "3x3 Magic Squares: 4/6-Folder Reflection & Found"?

The "found" in the title refers to the fact that this particular method of solving 3x3 magic squares was discovered rather than created. It is a method that has been passed down and refined over time by mathematicians and puzzle enthusiasts.

4. How is a 3x3 magic square different from other magic squares?

A 3x3 magic square is different from other magic squares in that it is the smallest size possible for a magic square. This makes it a popular choice for puzzles and games. It is also unique in that it has a single magic constant, whereas larger magic squares may have multiple magic constants.

5. Can a 3x3 magic square have more than one solution?

No, a 3x3 magic square can only have one solution. This is because the magic constant and the arrangement of numbers in the square are mathematically related and cannot be altered without breaking the rules of a magic square. However, there are different methods and techniques that can be used to arrive at the same solution.